General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stupid Squeaking Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sweaking Pulleys

I know this board wasnt made for assistance in problems but it seems every time i want to do something to the car something has to come up, this time its something little but the pulleys thathold the serpentine belt sweak when it rains which i figure is ok, but its been dry here for a few days and they havent sweaked, until today, is there something i can do about this, will i need a new tensioner or idler pulley? thanks
Old 12-12-2004, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the beltsslipping, have you checked the tensioner?
Old 12-25-2004, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Default Stupid Squeeking Pulley, HELP

Well I have another maintenance, non performance thing i have to do to my car, its not like there have been plenty, it just seems like everytime i start to save for something, something has to be replaced I guess i should be lucky im still goin strong, kinda, with 120k on the clock, anyway the pulley on the top right of my engine (driverside head) is squeeking like crazy, i was out of town for a week and when i got back it started, its fine at start up but after about 5 mins it squeeks bad, it sounds like a beater, how do i fix this, do i need to replace it? if so should i replace the others? i've heard of belt slippage problems with the A4's so do i need to get a ASP tensioner pulley while im at it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 12-26-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Top pulley would be the power steering pulley, is this it or the pulley directly under the power steering pulley that has the squeeking noise?
Old 12-26-2004, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

i think it is that top one, if it isnt it is the one below it
Old 12-26-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

I had the same problem on mine [ 98 TA A4 Black.. same as urs ] and it was my accessory belt!.. Got a DAACO and things were nice and quiet again

Did you change the belt ?

Try this test, when it starts squeaking, spray some WD-40 on it.. if it stops squealing for a while and comes right back later, it's def. your belt!