General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is there a way to keep headlights from coming up when using keyless entry key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to keep headlights from coming up when using keyless entry key fob?

whenever i lock or unlock my '99 TA with the key fob the headlights come up then go right back down. is there a way to stop this from happening? one of my headlight gears is already stripped so i never get to use this thing. i assume there is an output from the keyless entry/anti theft unit that controls this headlight action, maybe someone has a wiring diagram that shows this? thanks!

Jeremy
Old 03-18-2005, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

the gear being stripped is the reason it does it. do a search and you'll find its a common problem when the gears strip.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The owners manual says how to switch modes. Such as, when I use the key fob, all my lights light up momentarily. However, I can do a certaiin procedure, and turn that mode off. Or turn it to a different mode, where only the horn beeps when I use the key fob. Basically, it is a mode that you have to change, not the wiring.

I have never heard of the headlights going up and down when using the fob?
Old 03-19-2005, 12:28 AM
BS
Launching!

Headlight motor or gear problem.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like your computer is telling the headlights to come up when the pkg lights go on, is that right??? If not, then just read the manual and you'll find how to change it. And once your gears are stripped passed the point of being bearable, look for motors from a salvaged or parting out 02, they had some better components then.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you replace the gear that will correct the problem. Look at my sticky at the top of this forum.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yah, it's because of the stripped headlight gear. When you lock your car, it checks to see if the headlights are down. But if the gear is stripped then it thinks that the lights are still up and trys to put them down. But really the lights are down so the headlight motor just grinds the gear. A quick fix is to undo the headlight linkage, rotate the gear 180 then reattach it. It will then use the opposite side of the gear.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLCKBRD
Yah, it's because of the stripped headlight gear. When you lock your car, it checks to see if the headlights are down. But if the gear is stripped then it thinks that the lights are still up and trys to put them down. But really the lights are down so the headlight motor just grinds the gear. A quick fix is to undo the headlight linkage, rotate the gear 180 then reattach it. It will then use the opposite side of the gear.
oh.....you learn something new everyday So if I walk away with my lights up, and hit the lock button, the lights should come down...
Old 03-19-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by psykoTA
oh.....you learn something new everyday So if I walk away with my lights up, and hit the lock button, the lights should come down...
you wish! ...sorry it doesn't work that way it only happens when a gear is stripped.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

damn forgot to set to instant email notification... well i took it apart, unhooked the battery, and when i put it all back together it worked normally. thanks for all the replys, wish i woulda seen em sooner! later!