General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

dents/dimples in the rear quarter panels???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these as well. I would love to get them out, they drive me nuts. I vaguely remember someone talking about heating body panels with a hair dryer then putting ice on it to pop out dents. It was something like that, I don't remember. Does anyone have any insight on this procedure or is it all BS?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen it done with minor dents. You wait for a good, hot summer day, where the metal is so hot you can't rest your hand on it, and then touch an ice cube to it ( dry ice works better, but it's hard to get and you have to handle it w/tongs ), and they'll sometimes pop right out. I'm gonna try it with some of my hail dents on the quarters. My hood is a lost cause. Oh well, I've always wanted an Ultra-Z hood anyway.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:01 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vertigo
Ya thats funny...Cuz somehow my car has them too, from when i bought my car from DMNSPD...Wonder how they got there ? Any ideas Steve? LOL
I actually bought sfc's for the car before I sold it. They sat around until after you had picked it up I never noticed them when I had it though, but I got the SFCs to prevent them.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car has like a crease on the rear passenger qtr. panel...it was like that when I got it and it was bone stock. I wish GM would've made it more solid from the factory.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder if rolling the inner lip magnifies the flex in the quarters ? I havent seen any creases or flex in my TA. Of course, an old lady drove it 60K of its life.....

My Chevelle on the other hand, has some nice creases, and large-not really dents, more like shallow areas on both rear quarters. Years of racing, and solid engine mounts dont help
Old 04-19-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by psykoTA
I wonder if rolling the inner lip magnifies the flex in the quarters ? I havent seen any creases or flex in my TA. Of course, an old lady drove it 60K of its life.....

My Chevelle on the other hand, has some nice creases, and large-not really dents, more like shallow areas on both rear quarters. Years of racing, and solid engine mounts dont help
What is this ROLLING of fenders? and how is it done?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vertigo
What is this ROLLING of fenders? and how is it done?
Whats up man. Its where you roll the inner lip of the quarterpanels, typically to make room for 17x11" wheels on a lowered car. People use a tool to do this, though I havent seen it yet.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Teching In

I just picked up a 6 cyl car to put a V8 in and it has the dents on the top of the quarters. Those six shooters must launch hard as f***!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have one dimple on my drivers rear. Bought sfc about 3 weeks ago.
Dont know where that dimple came from. It just appeared. I thought it was some idiot in a parking lot, cause i didnt thin my car had enough power to flex that much yet. maybe im wrong.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by dgallow
just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if its a normal thing or what?? in the rear quarter panels of my car on both sides i have one dent or dimple i guess that is pretty noticeable. i havent dented my car before, ever! and i have no other dents in the car anywhere. just wondering what this is caused by or if anyone has this. is it just me?? could it be from stress on the rear??

Hmmm. I have a couple on my rear wheel wells, but figured it was from rocks while in 4wd. Its a truck though so I don't mind too much
Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is a common problem with fourth gen F bodys. Even if it is bone stock it will most likely have a few dimples over time.

The problem is where the unitized rear frame rails meet the cabin erea of the car, This is a very weak spot in the cars structural design. You will get the dimples at the rear base of the roof cap and around the edge of the rear wheel house. The quarter panel, wheel house and floor pan all play a roll in the structural design of the car. The roof is acually somewhat of an integrated roll bar because it continues behind the quarter panel and ties into the rocker panel, It is from this point back that the car has quite a bit of flex and frame rail connectors wont help back there.

Learn to live with the dimples, there not going away. Frame rail connectors are a good idea on our cars but they will not cure this problem.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:33 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine was dimpled when i bought it, i guess the woman i bought it for rowed threw 'em hard a few times

i've actually got 2 above my passenger side fender (none on driverside), one is pretty bad and the other one is BARLEY noticable. a buddy of mine had one fixed in his 02 z28, not sure what all they did, but they did have to repaint it.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my car brand new in 98 and noticed then a few months later. They don't bother me any more.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:09 AM
On The Tree

Get a hold of someone who does paintless dent removing, I had a small dent on the drivers side quarter and I found some guy who did paintless dent removing. He drilled a small hole in the wheel well and did his thing and it came out. Only cost me $25
Old 04-22-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bet a roll cage would cure it.......
Old 04-23-2005, 11:30 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I've had SFC's for a long time......still got a dimple on the drivers side panel. It appeared sometime after 100K miles.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gwj
I've had SFC's for a long time......still got a dimple on the drivers side panel. It appeared sometime after 100K miles.
What kind of SFC's?
Old 04-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Launching!

ive got a 6 pt roll cage and i still have dimples. they might have been there before the cage was welded in but i wouldnt know because i bought the car like that.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:16 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Learn to live with the dimples, there not going away. Frame rail connectors are a good idea on our cars but they will not cure this problem.
That's what I've been told. BUT, it is true that they would help to either delay or lessen the problem. Some people say their worthless, but then again it depends on what you use your car for as well.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
That's what I've been told. BUT, it is true that they would help to either delay or lessen the problem. Some people say their worthless, but then again it depends on what you use your car for as well.

FRC's are a good idea even on a mild car but they simply do nothing to stabilize the rear of the car. A roll cage is probably the only option to brace or help stabilize the rear of the car.

Quick Reply: dents/dimples in the rear quarter panels???