General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ok, I took out the A/C low pressure side valvecore rod. Where do I get a new one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok, I took out the A/C low pressure side valvecore rod. Where do I get a new one?

Autozone? I do know it was leaking because there was a lot of green UV dye around the bottom of the black cap.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

The schraeder is a common leak point. But, whenever you put die in the system unless you add die then charge it with liquid refrigerant it will not wash the dye out of the charging fitting and it would appear as the culprit. The a/c systems as far as leaks go are pretty solid. The two major leak point on f-body a/c systems are the high pressure liquid line from the compressor to the condensor and the compressor itself. Any autoparts store usually keeps the schraeder fittings.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

We added R-134a and the dye. And I did replace the valve core. Before, you could hear a hissing noise around the low port side. So, I assumed this was the leakage point. From the best that I can tell, there is no more hissing noise emanating from that area. But, I added refrigerant yesterday, and the compressor did not activate. The gauge was near redline on the can too. I do not know what the **** is up.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Call Dal Slaughbaugh at 1-877-448-5451. He is a GM parts rep. He can get anything you need at 5% over cost. Great to deal with and if it in stock which is 99% of the time will ship the same day. Is very knowlegeble on any LT1 parts being Camaro or Impala SS. Good luck. A great example is I needed O2 sensors and the dealer wanted $60.00 plus for them . Dal sold them to me at 36 dollars each. Had them in 2 days.
HVY SS
Old 05-05-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

In order to really know what is going on you need to get a real gauge set and check the high and low pressure with the system on. It could still be short on refrigerant and not have enough in it to satisfy the safety switch. If the system is fully empty then a can will usually get it to turn the compressor on. The gauge on the can deals from a parts house do not give you enough information to know what the system is doing or to accurately diagnose it. Depending on the condition of the compressor, valves,pistons etc. The low side on a 80-105 degree day should range from about 35-50 and the high side about 175-230. With the engine at idle and the fans on high. The pcm will not turn the fans on to high speed unless the high pressure side is about 220 and coolant temp is 195 degrees.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

After I had the battery disconnected for several minutes and after I added some more refrigerant, the compressor did fire. But, after I let it idle for awhile, the air did not get cooler.