General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about spark plugs.

When you guys change the plugs on your pontiacs, do you tilt the engine forward to get to the ones on the back? I can't reach the rear plugs on my Grand Prix so I was thinking of getting an engine tilter to tilt the engine forward. Many thanks.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well this is primarily a ls1 enthusiast site.

i couldnt see needing to tilt the engine necesary.
try going from the underside...
Old 06-20-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need to tilt the engine, take the bolts out of the top "dog bone" motor mounts. Tilt the engine with a big prybar. Slide one or the bolts through the normally unused hole in the dog bone. That should hold the engine, so you don't need to buy anything.
I haven't changed plugs in a GP in a few months, but I really don't think it needs to be tilted, assuming you have a 3.8. If you have the 3.1 then it does. It's a little tight, and you do need to go from the top. Try www.fullthrottleV6.com
Old 06-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll give it a try.

Thanks muff. I've got the 3.1 and you're right that it is extremly tight. Do I need to disconnect any hoses or lines? I appreciate the help a great deal.

Originally Posted by Muffracing
If you need to tilt the engine, take the bolts out of the top "dog bone" motor mounts. Tilt the engine with a big prybar. Slide one or the bolts through the normally unused hole in the dog bone. That should hold the engine, so you don't need to buy anything.
I haven't changed plugs in a GP in a few months, but I really don't think it needs to be tilted, assuming you have a 3.8. If you have the 3.1 then it does. It's a little tight, and you do need to go from the top. Try www.fullthrottleV6.com
Old 06-23-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, just take the two bolts out on the engine side of the mount and slip the bolt back through the mount and the hole on the bottom of the dog bone. No need to disconnect anything.