General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad Limiter Like Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Limiter Like Hesitation

Posted this in another area but doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.

Getting a hesitation like hitting a limiter, feels like it dies until get thru it's rpm range of hesitation which would be around 2500 to 3k and even then it doesn't feel like it's as powerful going beyond 3k, still seem like something is happening, i've changed out my spark plug wires i thought it was good to go. until it just came back again, and i noticed sometimes it's there other times it's not but for the most part it's there. i'm going to be doing my spark plugs and fuel filter next see if that helps. even try'd messing with my tune with spark, but it just moved it higher in the rpm range.. but whats weird is its at the same spot everytime.. and my intake monifold gaskets are new also. i was thinking maybe my MAF has gone bad or something. but it happens on all loads just the more you accellerate the faster it goes thru the hesitation,, but still being pressent..

update:

well i deleted the MAF and did a MAFLess Tune problem still exist, it pretty much seem to be just the entire power band. more noticable in other areas. so changed my oil and put new spark plugs in.. car felt better and had more power, needed a spark plug change badly, but problem still exist... I'm not throwing an codes Either. now i'm thinking some in the tune but nothing was ever changed and it just suddenly happened, next i'm thinking i have no clue. CAM sensor maybe? good thing is i have 2 extra to try out. but the time and lace i dont. what to do. Somtimes it picks up and wants to go then just falls in to like if my timing was extremely off

Old 06-14-2005, 05:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you try the fuel filter yet? sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me, maybe partially clogged injectors?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

No haven't done the fuel filter yet. that will be this weekend. After more funding comes in. So hopefully thats it. if not it's either something electrical or tuning I hopefully nothing Mechincal. i doubt it's the tunning. i've also used fuel system cleaner also to try to help clear anything out.. I'll also admit I have yet to change my fuel filter
Old 06-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Default Hesitation problem

I'm having the same problem with mine (2000-3000 RPM) so I did the following (in order): Car has 38,000 miles)
1. Ran Redline fuel injector cleaner (nothing)
2.Replaced PCV valve (didn't do anything)
3.Replaced gas filter (nothing)
4.Replaced spark plugs with NGKs (nothing). I had a whiteish looking powder on the old ones.
Checked wires for resistance, they were all close to one another (320k ohms)
5.cleaned MAF screen (nothing)
6.I finally broke down and brought it to a dealer. They updated the PCM with two newer updates and replaced 2 of my O2 sensors ($150 each + $200 in labor). This seemed to work but the hesitation is back (only days later). I checked the throttle position sensor for resisitance and the needle moved smoothly (no sudden jumps or falls) although maybe this is it intermittingly???
I'm going to bring it back to the dealer but would like some ideas from you guys.

Thanks
Shawn

1999 WS6, upgraded airbox (clear lexan), K&N, BMR strut tower brace... turbo in the future
Old 06-29-2005, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

I also get this, but mine is completely random. The car doesnt feel down on power after it quits hesitating/sputtering.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:46 PM
Teching In

From what I've read from a search it seems like a bunch of us are having this trouble but have seen no solutions... I think I'm going to do a throttle position sensor and new wires (even though mine looked fine).... I don't know what else to do.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Sound to me that time spent with a good tuner using a wideband 02 sensor would be a cure all to this!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

check the induction, you might need a new air filter, look down the tubing, somethin might be stuck in the MAF, i read somewhere on here that a peice of someones air filter broke off and went down the tube and got stuck at the MAF and was doing the same exact thing, he removed it and it runs perfect. do that, i can almost guarantee it'll be the problem

Last edited by greatskiiiier; 07-01-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Check the front O2s with a scan tool. Also check the grounds on the back of the drivers head for the O2s. I had bad grounds and it killed the O2s in a heart beat. My car did this more when it was damp or wet. Hence the ground issue. Also check all of the body and engine grounds as well.

I would bet it is electrical.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Swap injectors with a buddies car if you can - to rule out the injectors having a problem. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge as well and check that too.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

but if it's not fuel delivery, it's o2's or valvetrain left, but my o2's are reading out fine, the reason why i figured it might be my valvetrain i probably got around 40k+ on these springs. then i figured having a weak spring will cause differations in the way the spring preforms when their Cold, MED, and Hot. I've noticed recently when cold I hear what might be a vavle tapping (cars running crappy), at engine temp with mild driving, (med) she'll go through th rpms smoother then she has every ran, (Occasionally, once in ablue moon) when hot she'll be drivable but better then when cold, but no tapping of any valves. assuming thats what i'm hearing. so i'm thinking it could be one or multi slow responsive valves. If it's not the fuel pump which i'm will be preforming next.

So Far I've :
Changed Spark Plug Wires. (MSD SC) Cars Smoother (but No change)
Changed Spark Plugs. (NGK TR5s) Again cars Smoother (but No Change)
ReEdited It. (LS1 Edit) older working tune car ran even worse (changed back)
[b]Disconnected MAF.[/]b (No Change)
ReTuned It. Really OLD Tune, Basicly Stock, Ran Better through daily driving RPM ranges (Changes - Hesitates and stubles in higher RPM range and at idle)
Changed Fuel Filter. (no change)
Tuned Again. To My MAFless GMWorldCUPcam Tune. (little more power, but same results as (ReTuned It), so no change
Welded up a hole for my back o2 sensor that stripped out. helped take off( no change)
tuned again areas i though might need richening, car stubled badly like if it wasn't getting any fuel. Tuned back

Next:
Secondary inline Fuel pump Assistance
if not the the fuel pump
Cam Sensor
then
All new Valvetrain
if not that
Driving it off a cliff
Old 07-08-2005, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

OK, I will throw this into the mix.

Last fall, what you describe above was happening to me. Hesitation basically. Well, 2 weeks later a valve spring broke, dropped a valve and took out my motor.

Thus why I'm on a new motor ( see sig ).

So from my perspective, quit driving it and pull the valve covers and check the seat pressure on your springs.

Or, keep driving it and wait till she breaks.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

yeah i figured it was. b/c i've run into a similar problem with a bent valve stem that was sticking. motor blew-up...
Sorry to hear about your motor.

My valve springs come in today.