General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 No Start - Need Help!

She won't start. When I turn the ignition to start...

- It's totally silent.
- There are no dash lights at all and no solenoid click.
- All accessories work when the key is in the 1st or Acc positions.
- The battery is a strong 12V and ground cables look good.
- All fuses in both boxes appear OK.
- Car was running fine until I parked it and it wouldn't restart.
- Temp is 90+ and dry (no chance of water in anything).
- All wiring is stock for B4C, but all police accessories are gone.

I have my suspicions of what this is, but I'd like to know what you guys think so I can have some objective opinions.

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start checking fuses first. then check the starter and the ignitio switch out.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The fuses look good, unless there's some in-line ones somewhere in the ignition circuit that I'm missing.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't get as much help here as I'd hoped, but my initial guess turned out to be right on: the ignition switch. I had to rip out the steering column in a grocery store parking lot to get to it, but it was only $20 for the part. (A tow would've cost more than that.)

We might want to add that to the list of stuff that fails on high mileage LT1's. The parts store even had them in stock and I found a lot of references on the web. But I guess this isn't just an LT1 issue, it's an LS1 issue too.

For those using www.shbox.com as a guide for this fix, it's a good site. I just wish it didn't gloss over how difficult it is to get the park/lock cable out of the switch. It is a major PITA. Everything else was very helpful and I wouldn't have tried fixing this without it.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LTSpeed
I didn't get as much help here as I'd hoped, but my initial guess turned out to be right on: the ignition switch. I had to rip out the steering column in a grocery store parking lot to get to it, but it was only $20 for the part. (A tow would've cost more than that.)

We might want to add that to the list of stuff that fails on high mileage LT1's. The parts store even had them in stock and I found a lot of references on the web. But I guess this isn't just an LT1 issue, it's an LS1 issue too.

For those using www.shbox.com as a guide for this fix, it's a good site. I just wish it didn't gloss over how difficult it is to get the park/lock cable out of the switch. It is a major PITA. Everything else was very helpful and I wouldn't have tried fixing this without it.

Thanks everyone!
maybe this is my problem...

How long did it take?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It took a couple of hours to get it out, swap in the new switch, then reassemble. It was pretty hot, so I wasn't in a hurry.

When I first got it back together, I couldn't shift it out of park, so I went back to www.shbox.com and found instructions on how to adjust the park-lock cable at the shifter end. That only took about 10 minutes and I was off and running.