General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cleaning the MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the MAF Sensor

I had serious problems with a stumble in my car under accelaration. After lots of parts replacing (plugs/wires/O2s) it turned out that my descreened MAF Sensor had been contaminated by oil from my Volant CAI filters. DO NOT OVER OIL K&N type filters! My friend John at J&T was kind enough to lend me a MAF sensor and the car ran perfect.

Today... I decided to clean up my MAF and see if I could put it back into service. I used electronic cleaner (Lectra Clean) and blasted the little wires inside several times. Lo and behold. they weren't supposed to be black.

I put the MAF back into my car and took it for a ride. Bingo, she works beautiful from the little bit of driving I did. Just figured I'd share this for anyone who might have a similar problem.

Down the road, I might put my G-Force into use and test if there is any difference between running a stock MAF and a descreened MAF since I have both for the time being.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

I read that the computer does a MAF cleaning after shutdown by putting high voltage to the wires till they glow red thus burning off any contaminants and keeping sensor function consistent is it possible that this function is not working in your car or that some really nasty crap or water is getting in yout intake?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who told you that???? , but hot wires w/oil on them would just turn to even worse crusty carbon buildup...... I seriously doubt the wires get red hot, that could start a fire after shut off....
Old 08-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Launching!

I agree with Assasin... I looked at my MAF sensor the other day and it's still nice and clean. The car has NO stumble in it anymore.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

maybe this is whats wrong with mine. it stumbles at lower speeds often, but still runs good. I'm sure it has the original plugs/wires/o2's in it too
Old 08-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Try this first.. cost ya $7 and 10 minutes. THEN go for plugs and wires.

Don't do the O2s unless you are throwing codes or getting an idiot light.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

well the old tpi maf did heat the wire up
Old 08-13-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

where do you get the lectra clean at btw? I will try this.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:18 PM
9 Second Club

Contact cleaner. A a soft q tip.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Any auto parts store has some kind of electric spray cleaner.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Teching In

just use Carb cleaner i have used it many times and it works well
Old 08-16-2005, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

Another vote for cleaning the MAF before spending big bucks. I was getting P0103 after full throttle runs, replaced the K&N with a paper filter & cleaned the sensors & screen with contact cleaner, now no more codes.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

I attest to to this as well. I cleaned my maf with electronic cleaner and my car feels like it has been re-awakened. I did, however, get a 'ses' light on a few days later. Think one of my o2 sensors went out. Just coincidence though, I am sure. code: p0403 i think.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

DTC P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Solenoid Control Circuit
Old 11-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

I know this thread is kinda old but u all say (and i agree) use the search function first....so here it goes.....

A few days ago i was drivin around and my SES light went on and i went to autozone and read it like 20 minutes after it happened. It was whatever code for the MAF so the guy just told me to clean it up. He also pulled the code for somethin with the EGR and just told me to clean that hose/valve or whatever. The code did go off on its own later that day too but I'm just gonna clean the MAF anyway with the Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner. So does the EGR code go off as a result of the MAF or should i still clean the EGR? The EGR doesn't affect performance at all right? just for emissions?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WiseguyZ28
I know this thread is kinda old but u all say (and i agree) use the search function first....so here it goes.....

A few days ago i was drivin around and my SES light went on and i went to autozone and read it like 20 minutes after it happened. It was whatever code for the MAF so the guy just told me to clean it up. He also pulled the code for somethin with the EGR and just told me to clean that hose/valve or whatever. The code did go off on its own later that day too but I'm just gonna clean the MAF anyway with the Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner. So does the EGR code go off as a result of the MAF or should i still clean the EGR? The EGR doesn't affect performance at all right? just for emissions?
If the egr is going bad your car will stumble and start stalling. You can try cleaning it but usually they need to be replaced. Mine went bad and I bought a used one for $20
Old 11-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Well i only got 38k miles right now.......but like i said, the SES light went on and went off on its own same day. The car feels fine....just cleaned the maf lastnight. Don't think anything is wrong with it.

I can take out the whole EGR system and get it tuned out right? and that wouldn't hurt anything? cuz i plan on doing a tune so might as well take it out if it doesn't need it......one less thing to worry about.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

The wires in the MAF ..DO glow RED-HOT at shutdown....this is to burn contaniments...ask any mechanic. Or a sponsor.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

I was looking for lectra clean today to clean mine and I asked for eletronics cleaner for my MAF, so he directs me over to the brake cleaner in a can. I said nah nah, I already got that stuff. He said, we'll its the same thing.

So Im gonna ask here to make sure, can I spray some break cleaner on a q-tip and gently clean off the resistors without damage or residue?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aNuBiS
I was looking for lectra clean today to clean mine and I asked for eletronics cleaner for my MAF, so he directs me over to the brake cleaner in a can. I said nah nah, I already got that stuff. He said, we'll its the same thing.

So Im gonna ask here to make sure, can I spray some break cleaner on a q-tip and gently clean off the resistors without damage or residue?
I've heard of some people using non chlorinated brake cleaner with no problems but I would recommend that you use this.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the MAF Sensor