General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window regulator?

No not the power window motor, the regulator itself.

The P/W motor was replaced in my car just before I bought it. Just a few months after buying it, the window started acting up. It would go up and down, but would **** itself to the side. I pulled the door panel and found one of the fuzzy stabilizers (top of the inner door skin, 2 gold brackets with black fuzz) had broken and the rear window channel bolts were loose. I tightened the bolts and ordered 2 new stabilizers (replace both for good measure). I replaced the borken one just an hour or two ago and then tested it. It's still cocking to the side (inside, toward the interior of the car). The window will roll down fine. It will roll up until about 5 inches of the top. Then it ***** inward, overloads the circuit breaker and stops. If I grab it and guide it up, it goes up fine. I looked around some more and found that the "peg" that rides in the rear window channel is fatigued, busted and barely hanging on. But I don't see it catching on that. Something has to be hitting and causing it to tilt inward. With as much stress as that whole regulator has seen, I think I'm going to replace the whole thing. The only places I can think to get it are the dealer and Billy Graham (ripoff!).

So any thoughts? Anything else to try? Any other place to get the regulator assembly?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2005, 07:35 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only places I can think to get it are the dealer and Billy Graham (ripoff!).

So any thoughts? Anything else to try? Any other place to get the regulator assembly?
You could give SDPC (sponsor) a call, they're a GM parts dealer
Old 07-25-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

I believe I'll do that. Thanks, ACW.

Any thoughts on what else could be broken/misaligned? I'm just trying to cover my bases so that I don't have to pull the door panel a FOURTH time. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone have any pictures of the entire window moving assembly? I went to GMPartsDirect.com to look at their Mitchell's catalogue and now I think it may be one of the other pieces that I need. Those diagrams aren't the best in the world and some of the pieces aren't labeled. If you have pictures of all or any of the window glass moving pieces, you could save me a lot of aggrevation if you post up. Please?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:24 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigE
Anyone have any pictures of the entire window moving assembly? I went to GMPartsDirect.com to look at their Mitchell's catalogue and now I think it may be one of the other pieces that I need. Those diagrams aren't the best in the world and some of the pieces aren't labeled. If you have pictures of all or any of the window glass moving pieces, you could save me a lot of aggrevation if you post up. Please?
The pictures on http://shbox.com/1/adj_window.html and http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html might help
Old 07-25-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I've got those bookmarked. I was looking for a pic of the assembly out of the door. I guess I'm just going to have to spend some quality time with it this weekend and figure it all out.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:46 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigE
Yeah, I've got those bookmarked. I was looking for a pic of the assembly out of the door. I guess I'm just going to have to spend some quality time with it this weekend and figure it all out.
Ah well. The parts manual diagram for the window/door stuff is way too cluttered to be helpful either. Perhaps if you're going to be trying to figure it out anyway, you could take a photo and/or draw a simpler diagram, to post for future reference?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

If time allows, sure!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Teching In

I'm having the same problem. I too noticed that my "Pegs" are broken, but can't figure out how they would hold the window steady either. I am reluctant to replace the regulator because that spring looks like it would make that process a pain in the a$$. Any updates on this?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

im also having the same problem. my "pegs" are broken as well, can i just replace them? im gonna have to mess around with it some more and take my door panel off again for the 5th time.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

UPDATE:

I finally got time to mess with it today. The window only has one track that guides it's path front to rear (nose to tailights) and out to in (door to interior). There is a metal piece that is riveted to the bottom of the tailight end of the glass. This piece has a roller riveted to it that travels in a vertical track at the rear of the door. When my window motor was replaced prior to my purchase of the car, they didn't tighten and/or lock tight the nuts (3 black ones at the bottom of the picture). That caused extreme force on the roller and pulled it out of the piece. Now the window slides nose to tail at will. It also leans into and out of the car once it clears the supports. I'll order the piece from GMPD, SDPC or the dealer next week and install it the following week when I'm off. My only concern now is how I'm going to attach the new piece to the window considering the old ones were riveted. I'll have to figure that one out later. Here's the pics:
Attached Thumbnails Window regulator?-window-012p.jpg   Window regulator?-window-018p.jpg  
Old 09-26-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

I talked to the dealer this morning and they have the part I need. Apparently that whole channel (broken piece included) is all one part number (16625875) and can be bought at a street price of $39. GMPartsdirect has it (they call it a lift channel) for 23.xx + 9.95 shipping so it would come out slightly cheaper than going to the dealer. The dealer here has one in stock so I'll probably go ahead and get it from them. Now I just have to figure out what to do about the rivets. I'll put all of this into a more palatable form once I'm done. Maybe it will save some others some aggrevation.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweeeet awesome man my riveted thing broke too and the window slides forward and back and is a PITA to roll up i have to guide it with my hand. let me know how everything goes.