General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is it my o2 Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it my o2 Sensor?

K, I have did a little research, and while I am no auto guru, I believe my problem may be a bad o2 sensor.

For awhile my car has displayed the SES light, but I really did not notice any significant difference. Lately I have noticed that it seems to be taking a lot more gas. Then, today, I was going out to get gas and I got on it pretty good. THe SES light started to blink and there was a few puffs of smoke out the back and the smell of fuel. I turned it around and noticed while I was waiting to back it out into traffic that it was idling pretty rough. I got it home, let it cool down about 30 minutes then went out and checked the fluids, which were all at optimal levels. I then started it up, revved it hard then took it down the road and there was no problem.

Opinions? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

ya ls1's are very .. how should i say it.. picky.. when ur light flashes.. that means stop the ****** vehicle.. cuz ur gonna **** **** up. when it flashes.. ur having a bad multiple cylinder missfire. now its real hard to determine without being there. but check ur plugs let me know how they look
Old 07-27-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to try the O2 sensors. However, should I get actual O2 sensors or the simulators?
Old 07-27-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

when you get a professional tune, using software such as hp tuners or ls1 edit, can they eliminate O2 sensors from the OBD-II computer all together or am i crazy?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you ever get the code scanned.I mean,how do you think you have bad o2's?A flashing ses is for a multi-misfire like SlpLs1 said but a misfire could be caused from alot of different things.From bent pushrods,fowled plugs to wires,coils,injectors.Have you accidently done a 4th-5th to 2nd downshift.Thats takes out push rods almost every time.There's to many variables.

You say you car has had the ses for awhile.What if it was a o2 that was bad and you blew the motor from a lean condition.I know extreme example.I'm not trying to be a dick,but I see alot of posts with people wanting to know what's wrong I have an ses yet they never even get it scanned.It could minor to major.How can any help without knowing the code?
Anyway if you get it scanned let us know!
Old 07-28-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Did you ever get the code scanned.I mean,how do you think you have bad o2's?A flashing ses is for a multi-misfire like SlpLs1 said but a misfire could be caused from alot of different things.From bent pushrods,fowled plugs to wires,coils,injectors.Have you accidently done a 4th-5th to 2nd downshift.Thats takes out push rods almost every time.There's to many variables.

You say you car has had the ses for awhile.What if it was a o2 that was bad and you blew the motor from a lean condition.I know extreme example.I'm not trying to be a dick,but I see alot of posts with people wanting to know what's wrong I have an ses yet they never even get it scanned.It could minor to major.How can any help without knowing the code?
Anyway if you get it scanned let us know!
This is true, but I rarely pay attention to the yellow lights. I think it is only an O2 snesor, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong and the motor is blown than I will replace the engine with a much hotter setup...
Old 07-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Teching In

I'm going through the same thing. same lean condition, same misfire warning. I bought new o2s and I will replace them in a few hours and let you know.

I'm pretty sure that it's my o2 because I had this problem before. I washed my car through an auto wash that shot water under the car when I was out of town. Some how water got in the connectors and shorted the sensors out. I had the plugs replaced, the wires, but when the o2s were changed, the car ran great.

My girl used my car a few days ago and took it through a large puddle during a bad rain storm. Immediatley the car started acting up again.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

can anyone answer my question regarding o2 sensors???
when you get a professional tune, using software such as hp tuners or ls1 edit, can they eliminate O2 sensors from the OBD-II computer all together or am i crazy?
Old 07-28-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98SuperSport

I believe you can delete them so you do not get a code (ex. P0430).
Old 07-28-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98SuperSport
You can get rid of the rear o2's,but you need the fronts.The backs basically make sure your cats are working.Thats why you can use simulators in place of the rears if you dont have access to tuning..They just send a signal bouncing around.
You need the fronts or your car will run like crap.They're mostly for part throttle and cruise.Your car goes into open loop when full throttle.
Just do alot of reading in the pcm and diagnostic forum.It'll really help you to understand alot about our cars.I dont have alot of posts but ive been around theses boards for years and had lots of f-bodies.I've read almost every thread in the internal/external/pcm/ forums.I know get a life huh!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mastrhu
I'm going through the same thing. same lean condition, same misfire warning. I bought new o2s and I will replace them in a few hours and let you know.

I'm pretty sure that it's my o2 because I had this problem before. I washed my car through an auto wash that shot water under the car when I was out of town. Some how water got in the connectors and shorted the sensors out. I had the plugs replaced, the wires, but when the o2s were changed, the car ran great.

My girl used my car a few days ago and took it through a large puddle during a bad rain storm. Immediatley the car started acting up again.
Yeah, let me know how it works out. I am going to buy a pair of sensors this weekend. I noticed yesterday when my wife came home from work that it smoked a little when she pulled in (She gives it a little too much gas when she pulls it up into our parking lot, lol!) She said she smelled fuel when she did it, but that it was the first time that day it had done it.

Quick Reply: Is it my o2 Sensor?