General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help diagnose this squeaking problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .

It could be your exhaust hanger...I pipe flexing and shifting.... It could be your lower control arms, my BMRS squeaked like hell until I oiled them.
Or , it could be your brakes.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Dude, I have your answer. Turn the car off and go out to the right backhand side of the car. Hit the quarter panel right next to your spoiler ( with some force, but obviously not leave a dent with the soft side of your hand) if it squeaks it the plastic that surrounds your hatch. ALSO it might be your tail light is loose. Seriously I know this sounds ghetto, but it worked on my old Formula. I ****'n would drive with one hand and hold the seat, have my girlfriend climb to the back to try and find the noise, flip the thing up and down that hides what's in the trunk. It got to a point where I spray WD-40 up and down the right side of the hatch. But I found the plastic was loose that surrounded the hatch. and later my tail light was loose and I saw some one mention the rubber things on the trunk.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Yo I had the same problem on my T/A. What ended up being the squeak was the rear seat latch rubbing up agaist the latch bar. Try laying the back seat down and see if the squeak gos away. If not try lubing all your rear bushings and any moving part.

good luck, let me know if I was right about the rear seat. Late,

Nick
Sacto, Cali
Old 08-07-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill try laying the rear seat down and see what happens. My rear seat is very tight up against the latches though. I have lubed up all the bushings in the rear by spraying them really good with silicone grease. Ill try the thing with the rubber things on the rear hatch. So is it those **** things that are on the hatch itself that rest on the rear panel of the car?? Ill also check the tail light. Where is the plastic in the rear hatch you were talking about philly?? Is it behind the carpet near the latch on the passenger side?? I REALLY appreciate all the responses because Im going crazy with this noise and it makes my car sound like a bucket. Hopefully I can fix it, or I will lose my mind.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, now I'm 100% sure its something in the rear hatch/suspension area on the passenger side. It was really bad today(humid out) and the squeaking was very loud and rapid. Almost like a shaking/squeaking sound. It was even squeaking when my car was idling and when I shut my driver door. Im thinking its the exhaust hanger but I dont know what to do about it. Ive greased it up alot, but never goes away. Is it the hanger or something else?? Just need this to be fixed, otherwise Im taking it to a dealership or exhaust shop to get looked at.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:21 AM
Launching!

The plastic in the hatch I'm talking about is the plastic that surrounds the hatch. Another words: Open the hatch. From the back seat look at the hatch. Around the hatch where it meets the body of the car there is plastic that surrounds the hatch. On my SS it's 3 pieces of plastic. They don't fit flush and when ya hit a bump or have a loudmoth especially they squeek.
DId you do the thing where you tap the back quarter panel?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I hit the quaterpanel and no noise. But if I rock the car side to side from the quarterpanel it does make the sound. I checked all my bushings again and they look pretty worn. Should I replace them, or wait??? If I do replace them should I go with poly or rubber??? I see what plastic your talking about, but is there anything I can do to quiet it down. Im thinking it is suspension or exhaust hanger because I can definately hear it better when the window is down.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally figured out the damn noise!!! I came home from a car show tonight, squeaking as usual and when I got home I ran into one of my tailpipes and it made this high pitched squeaking sound. I guess it was my exhaust after all. Im gonna get it fixed monday hopefully. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Launching!

I'm thinking mine is exhaust related also. Sometimes it will squeak while it's just sitting there idling.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go for a drive like 10 minutes or so, and then stop and shake the tail pipes side to side and up and down. If you hear a noise, its them. I finally found it, and couldnt be happier. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know how I can fix the hanger so it doesnt make any noise?? Its the hanger on my catback that hooks from the pipe that comes out of the muffler on the passenger side to the underside of the car. Looks like a metal tab that goes into a rubber hanger. Can I just replace this hanger or what can I do to make it stop squeaking??
Old 09-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Launching!

Default !squeak

I finally found and fixed my squeak! Believe it or not, it was one of the rear O2 sensors. The back end of the O2 sensor has a ring that rotates around the body of the sensor. The ring was vibrating/rubbing against the sensor and causing a high-pitched, almost constant squeak. A shot of white lithium grease cured it. I love my Camaro again.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

I've been having the same problem. I just replaced my rear sway bar bushings and it still squeaks. Mine also does it while idling at times. F'in annoying as hell. I'm going to check out the passenger side exhaust hanger and see if that's the problem. Let me know how you ended up fixing it.