General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help diagnose this squeaking problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help diagnose this squeaking problem

Its been going on for about 2 months now and I cant take it anymore. Only on the rear passenger side of the car, and starts after driving about 2 miles. Almost a constant chriping/squeaking sounds. I thought it was the sway bar bushings, but it only is on that one side. I dont wanna go and out buy parts that arent necessary cuz I have other things that need to be done, but this squeak is ridiculous. I just need someone to point me in the right direction. Again, almost constant, only on the one side, and whenever I go over bumps it gets louder. Bushings, exhaust hangers, what could it be. The shocks were recently replaced so I doubt its those. I just need a solution because it is the most annoying sound you can think of.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Someones gotta be able to help me out. I saw an old thread like this with similar problems, but I never saw how they solved the problem. C'mon, anyone know what might be causing this squeak??
Old 07-24-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

My would squeek as you said, and especially over bumps. Come to find out it was the LCA rubber mount (stock). I replaced with aftermarket and noise went away.
Try putting some grease on the rubber mounts and see if that helps, before you go and buy some.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll try that in the morning. Hopefully that solves my problem.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem. Squeaking in the rear passenger and appears after the first couple of miles. However, it does not squeak when i go over bumps, only sometimes. I checked it out and found out that 1 of my lug nuts were loose. i tightened it but that wasnt it. so I still have the problem.....
Old 07-25-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dunno how annoyed everyone else is with the problem, but its bad. I almost wanna beat the rear into submission, but i know i would regret it.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hrsepwraddict00
Its been going on for about 2 months now and I cant take it anymore. Only on the rear passenger side of the car, and starts after driving about 2 miles. Almost a constant chriping/squeaking sounds. I thought it was the sway bar bushings, but it only is on that one side. I dont wanna go and out buy parts that arent necessary cuz I have other things that need to be done, but this squeak is ridiculous. I just need someone to point me in the right direction. Again, almost constant, only on the one side, and whenever I go over bumps it gets louder. Bushings, exhaust hangers, what could it be. The shocks were recently replaced so I doubt its those. I just need a solution because it is the most annoying sound you can think of.
i had the same problem, only my sqeak came and went as i drove the car. after replacing the bushing on the endlinks the noise was still there, i finally decided to do a brake job and found out my rotors were slightly warped.got 2 new rotors (for cheap) and the sqeak went away. try checking your rotors, might save you alot of time and money
Old 07-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Launching!

I'm a member of this club also. Mine sounds like crickets. My suspicions currently lie with the LCA bushings.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Banned

i had the exact same problem, and continue to have it, i have located it to be my exhaust hanger on the right side (GMMG) I lithium greased the hell out of it and it alleviates the squeak for possibly a month at a time, so i'd check the hanger(s) and the sway bar bushings are always a nuisance, not sure if you've taken action to lubricate those yet...

as far as i know those have been the only 2 squeaks my car produces

good luck
Old 07-26-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grab your can of WD40.

Spray something.

Test.

Repeat as required.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought a silicone based grease the only day, lubed up the sway bar bushings, lca bushings, and some of the exhaust hangers. I did not spray one hanger and will try that tomorrow. keep the ideas coming, I will do anything to eliminate this squeak.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Launching!

I replaced my LCA bushings over the weekend. Still squeaking.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I lubed up the lca bushings, sway bar bushings, exhaust hangers, still squeaking. Anyone know of anything in the hatch area that could be squeaking?? Were not talking like a squeak every now and then, it squeaks driving down the road and very rapidly. I hate it sooooo much, I just wanna fix it because Im on my last nerve right now. If you guys cant help me out its going to the dealership to get checked out. But Im betting they wont know either.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the spare tire secured tight?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

spare tire and jack have been out for awhile. ive checked alot of stuff, but i did a search and have a list going of what to check. ill post up if i figure anything out.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Try driving with your left arm and holding the rear seat back with your right arm and see if it goes away. My car squeaked some and I did this and found that the bolt that the seat latches to was slightly lower than it should have been so I loosened and moved it and now it's fine. Also try to lube where the rear springs meet the axle, I've heard that these squeak sometimes too after normal wear starts to set in.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you checked to see if it's the hatch latch where it closes? I know that needs to be adjusted sometimes.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow96z
Have you checked to see if it's the hatch latch where it closes? I know that needs to be adjusted sometimes.
Can you be more specific?? Not sure how to "adjust" the latch, but its definately something on the rear passenger side. Im running out of things to check.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im having the same problem - sounds like crickets! (To adjust the rear latch, all you have to do is turn the rubber ***** on each side of your hatch door) but I dont know what the squeaking noise is on my rear end.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have the same problem, so I change the rear lower control arms, parbar bar, shocks and still that stupid noise is there. then i added subframe connector, so the car wont shake as much. but the noise didnt go away. so then i got wd40 and spray the sway bar and every thats backthere and the noise doesnt go away. but i think that its the sway bar, but i spray the **** out of it and doent go away. so i got under the car and have my girlfriend push down on the car and the noise still sounds from the sway bar.