General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wipers are dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers are dead

My wipers don't work now. For a while the delay didn't work and now even the fastest speed doesn't work. The wipers only work when I use the washer fluid but they don't decend the whole way like when there off. Do you think the wiper motor is bad or is it a fuse?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:53 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you're talking about the different modes gradually stopping to work, my first guess would be that maybe the control switch connection is coming loose or damaged...? (There's typically 'spray washer fluid and run a couple of times' mode, delay mode, regular-speed mode, and higher-speed mode.)
Old 08-08-2005, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

The only mode that works is the spray washer mode. None of the others respond.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:03 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Yeah, but seems like you said that previously, everything worked except for delay... then regular-speed stopped working, then high-speed... so now spray is the only mode that still works.

How long has it been since all the modes worked properly? Days, weeks, months?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Teching In

I've encountered the exact same problem recently.

The problem first cropped up about 4 weeks ago, when the low delay settings stopped working. Low/High continuous still seemed to work, then gradually low continuous stopped working as well. Occasionally I could flip the selector all the way from low delay to high-continuous and the windshield wipers would still fail to come on, in which case i'd have to get them moving by using the windshield washer tab.

oddly enough I've also started having issues with my driver side window just stalling halfway up, but i'm pretty sure that's just a seperate problem (need to lubricate it).
Old 08-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Ok, i've basically checked out all the wiring and harnesses behind the kneeboard and noise reduction panel. I've checked the connections (pretty much everywhere), so it's not a wire coming loose. I've also checked the fuse in the drivers side fuse box, and I don't believe there are any applicable fuses in either of the engine bay fuse boxes. I think it might be the actual relay for the low speed windshield wipers, but i'm not quite sure where that is. I think it's the rounded part at the base of the turn signal/windshield washer/cruise control stalk, but again, i'm not sure. The first two pictures below are the connectors that I checked (the first one is actually for the turn signal, but I didn't know that at the time).

(immediately below the turn signal/windshield wiper/cruise control stalk)

(behind the kneeboard, and above the noise reduction panel)

(at the base of the turn signal stalk)

Does this little rounded unit contain the low speed relay?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:07 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Okay, if there aren't any wiring problems, the only other things GM lists in the repair matrix is to replace the Multifunction Turn Signal Lever, replace the Wiper Motor Cover, or replace the Wiper Motor.

Looks like there are two relays - one for determining whether the wipers have completed a sweep (are in 'park position') or not, and one for setting the speed (the 'low speed relay').

And there's an "isolation diode" that the pink wire runs to; from there, a red wire continues on to the windshield washer fluid pump. Can't tell for sure, but looks like that might be what the round thing in your photo is.

And the darker green wire and a gray wire run to some kind of 'solid state' selector thing, that sends out the signals to the relays to turn the wipers on/off and change the speed. Perhaps that's what's having problems.

Last edited by ACW; 08-11-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Whoops, seems I've not been looking at the big picture here.

I've been using the hayne's manual for hunting around, and it seems they boxed off the low speed relay, park relay, park switch, and end of sweep switch into the "Wiper Motor assembly." The grey wire actually feeds back into the yellow wire at the unit pictured in the second photo. So I could trace down the green wire, but it seems like it probably just runs straight up behind the dash and out into the engine bay near the wiper motor. I'll see if I can get to the wiper motor this time (drivers side wiper arm was being a pain last time and I was hesitant to just yank it off).
edit: I'm going to go for the wiper motor since I think that contains the solid state relay you were talking about.

Thanks for the help!

by the way, which manual are you using to look this up in?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:18 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Snail
by the way, which manual are you using to look this up in?
GM's stuff, can order a set at http://www.helminc.com/

There wasn't a diagram of the wiper system connections showing what the actual parts were, so I was having to try to match up straight from an electrical diagram to your photos... glad I managed to make enough sense out of it to help
Old 08-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Figured I'd give an update... I took it by the local dealership to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and they said that the windshield wiper assembly needed to be replaced. The part # is: 12336092; unfortunately it's a $300 part. So it will probably be a little while before I change mine out (the windshield wipers still work... just only on Hi).

Thanks again for all the help ACW!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Snail
Does it spray washer fluid and do the wipers only move when you spray.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Teching In

It sprays washer fluid when I spray... but no, the wipers also move when I turn them to the Hi setting.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

I just bought a Windshield Wiper lever, cost me $90 from GM, because a piece was missing between the dimmer switch rod and the wiper lever, it did not come with it though. The part on the bag says 26098535, Its the actual switch assembly (no handle included). Id replace that if I were you, gotta pull the steering wheel though.