General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

how to change rear hatch struts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to change rear hatch struts??? HELP

yeah it happened..my rear hatch struts **** the bed...(if the hatch wasnt so dam heavy maybe it wouldn't happen so much)
so i got some new ones yesterday...
how do i go about replacing them..im guessing i remove the rear interior panels...and there's prob some bolts and such...just wanted to see if anyone had prior experience on what to and not to do

THANKS!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 05:04 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strut Replacement - Rear Lift Panel

Removal Procedure

Caution: When a lift gate hold open device is being removed or installed, provide alternate support to avoid the possibility of damage to the vehicle or personal injury.

Notice: Apply pressure only at the end of the hood assist rod that you are removing or attaching. Do NOT apply pressure to the middle of the rod because damage or bending will result.

1. Raise the rear compartment lid, and support it.
2. Use a flat-blade screwdriver to carefully remove the strut from the mounts.
3. Remove the rear lift-panel strut from both the rear trunk lid and from the rear body mounts. Remove the strut from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Important: Install the strut by firmly pressing it into place on the mounts until you hear a snap. Tug on the strut to ensure that it is securely installed.

1. Install the rear lift-panel strut to both the rear trunk lid and the rear body mounts.
2. Remove the temporary support and close the rear compartment lid.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ACW

Removal Procedure

Caution: When a lift gate hold open device is being removed or installed, provide alternate support to avoid the possibility of damage to the vehicle or personal injury.

Notice: Apply pressure only at the end of the hood assist rod that you are removing or attaching. Do NOT apply pressure to the middle of the rod because damage or bending will result.

3. Remove the rear lift-panel strut from both the rear trunk lid and from the rear body mounts. Remove the strut from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Important: Install the strut by firmly pressing it into place on the mounts until you hear a snap. Tug on the strut to ensure that it is securely installed.

1. Install the rear lift-panel strut to both the rear trunk lid and the rear body mounts.
thank you very much did not realize this one had posted...i could not find it...
THANKS!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
thank you very much did not realize this one had posted...i could not find it...
THANKS!
Glad to help
Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Grammar Nazi Regional Headquarters; Arlen, Texas, U S of A

Originally Posted by ACW

Removal Procedure

Installation Procedure

Pics?

My original struts were fine until last winter, and my car was outside during a really cold spell and I opened the hatch too quickly and the struts made a scraping sort of sound and they have been weak ever since.

Quick Reply: how to change rear hatch struts?