General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

BOOM!!! hole in engine block

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOOM!!! hole in engine block

this is by no means a regular repair. i've had my camaro for 25 days, and 998 miles and there is a hole in the engine block... my warrantee company wants to tear the engine apart to see if it's covered, like through abuse and what not, but from what i hear, you can't really kill these things. (i baby mine anyway... it's the first thing i've ever bought for myself). i talked with some guys headed to a corvette show in Carlisle PA, and they reffered me to this site. just wondering if you guys could tell me ANY viable reasons that this went wrong... here are the details:

2002 Camaro Z28 (unmodified)
hole in right bank of engine block
oil still in car
smelled/saw smoke (obviously) right before the engine seized
mobil 1 5w-30 - K&N filter

lemon?
Old 08-29-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

How did you buy the car? Dealer or Private? Does the warranty transfer to you?
How many miles? Its pretty tough to wreck an LS-1 unless somebody really beat the **** out of it. I don't think you could have wrecked it in 1000 miles unless you ran it out of oil or let it overheat or something drastic like that. Even if it blew up from abuse, that's not your fault. I think the warranty should cover it.
Do you know anything about the history of the car? Maybe the previous owner was redlining more than a little.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Did you miss a shift in your last street race?? Cuz that's what the warranty people are thinking....
Good luck with this and keep us posted.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Teching In

my camaro has 37000 miles on it (after the 1000 i put on). i bought it from a dealer, so i have a 2 year unlimited mile warrantee on it. yes, i have hit the gas pedal a couple times, but nothing so drastic as to cause this type of failure. the warrantee guy gave me the "if we cover it" speech, but then ended with "we may just wind up getting a new motor instead of a used one because it's a long-term warrantee. so that was my only sense of relief, but they seem pretty gung-ho to not cover this at all costs

as for missed shifts, i missed 3rd twice so far, but nothing drastic... it's not like i sat there with the pedal stomped wondering why i wasn't accelerating, lol.

thanks for the help
Old 08-30-2005, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

read you warranty real good........there should be a section called " Limitations of Liability" If you read that section you will see exactly what they may try to use to deny the claim. example.....aftermarket parts ( muffler,cai) lack of maint,acts of God......stuff like that.........cross all you T's and dot your I's.......good luck
Old 08-30-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

do yourself a favor and buy a short stick/Pro 5.0 and learn to drive. Mis shifts can do quite a bit of damage so be careful. There is a reason why these cars like any car has a rev-limiter. Good luck and if you have anything, i mean any mods on the car put the stock stuff back on. They will deny the warranty for an aftermarket air filter if they want to.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

and scrub the rubber out of your wheel wells, too.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Take a look at this website. It gives you some insight asto what these warranty companies ae looking for.
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=7253
Old 08-31-2005, 11:26 AM
Teching In

luckily i'm completely stock, but i'll look into the short stick/Pro 5.0
Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

that sucks man hope u get it covered. you should at least
Old 09-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Teching In

so i went to visit my car in the shop today... the adjuster was there, but he knows jack **** about cars, because he was calling someone, telling them what was wrong, then they were telling him what to look at next and report back... i went in to talk to the mechanic after he left and here's the facts:

the mechanic suggested hydrolock as a reason but admitted that he'd like to take the engine completely apart to see exactly what it was, because he wasn't sure.

on the plus side, if covered, they said they'd get me a new engine instead of trying to find a used one that would suffice, but all of that is still up in the air right now.

i am going to go take pictures tomorrow and i will hopefully have them posted or linked to show wxactly what went on with the car. my only relief is that the mechanic, in his professional opinion, said that everything SHOULD be covered, because it's not a sign of abuse.

PS. Pewterpowre, i didn't even thing about scrubbing the wheel wells, but if i do decide to abuse my baby, and it does blow up by my acts, i'll keep that in mind, lol...
    Old 09-01-2005, 09:01 PM
    12 Second Club

Good news, man. I'm glad to hear that.
    Old 09-02-2005, 08:51 AM
    TECH Enthusiast

Check the details of your warranty. Is yours a Delco warranty or some 3rd party?

My buddy had a 3rd party warranty, and it was great (sarcasm). They will replace any failed part, but not any subsequent damage. So his situation was that he had an Audi A4 1.8t. The Oil feed line to the turbo was clogged with oil sludge, and it cause the turbo to go. Well warranty company shows that specific statement in their contract, and they offer to replace the oil feed line, but not the Turbo...... thats some BS.

Hopefully you get the new engine you deserve! Good luck!
    Old 09-03-2005, 12:35 PM
    Teching In

yeah, since it is a long term warrantee they may give me a new engine, but i won't know until tuesday or so because of this holiday... the engine was crated up to be sent out on thursday... however i have NO CLUE what they are doing with it, nobody has contacted me at all about coverage even... it's been 2 weeks... so i've just gotta buckle down on them... i'm still hoping for the best.
    Old 09-03-2005, 04:32 PM
    On The Tree

Just something to think about. If they do cover this in your warranty and they end up replacing the engine with a USED one instead of new. You might want to find out how many miles are on the USED engine. If your car only has 37,000 miles I know I wouldn't want some 100,000 mile engine in my car. Just a thought.
    Old 09-03-2005, 04:39 PM
    12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLUE01
    Just something to think about. If they do cover this in your warranty and they end up replacing the engine with a USED one instead of new. You might want to find out how many miles are on the USED engine. If your car only has 37,000 miles I know I wouldn't want some 100,000 mile engine in my car. Just a thought.
    yep dont want someone's junk in your car
    Old 09-04-2005, 02:56 AM
    Teching In

i have thought thoroughly of that situation... because i paid for 36k miles... i'll be damned if they screw me like that after my car's been MIA for 2 weeks
    Old 09-09-2005, 01:43 PM
    Teching In

apparently the hole in the block is in a "non-critical" area, so it can be patched/welded... i do not like this idea one bit, and am talking to the legal department right now...

today marks week 3, and they are sending another adjuster out to look at the engine that they sent out to be repaired without my permission... still carless, and paying for something i can't drive, this could possibly be the worst month ever

p.s. make SURE you never deal with the great lakes warrantee company EVER
    Old 09-10-2005, 12:44 PM
    TECH Fanatic

o hell no. I wouldnt drive a car with a welded block. that is crazy. take it as far as you can go with it. if they disasembled the entire block then a new block is only 600.00 or so. and for a dealer maybe cheaper. to repair it it may cost them only 200 or so. I would fight this all the way to the top.
    Old 09-10-2005, 10:02 PM
    12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Vex
    apparently the hole in the block is in a "non-critical" area, so it can be patched/welded... i do not like this idea one bit, and am talking to the legal department right now...

today marks week 3, and they are sending another adjuster out to look at the engine that they sent out to be repaired without my permission... still carless, and paying for something i can't drive, this could possibly be the worst month ever

p.s. make SURE you never deal with the great lakes warrantee company EVER
    that is