General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trying to track down a squeal under the hood...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to track down a squeal under the hood...

I have a 2000 SS, and it's squealing under the hood. Actually more of a grinding, and it gets worse with engine RPM. I've heard belt squeal before, and it's not that. When I removed the drive belt and ran the engine, the noise went away. So I'm thinking that it's one of the accessories or the tensioner. I've tried a stethescope and I still can't pin down where it's coming from.

I have a spare tensioner lying around here somewhere, but in the meantime, does anyone know of a good way to isolate the various accessories to try to find out if one of them is the source of the noise? Has anyone ever devised a way to take the accessories out of the loop one at a time? Perhaps some funky extra bracket with a pulley to take up the slack on the drive belt? Or is there some other way to spin the pulleys on the accessories really fast?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 09-11-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

have you tried to spin all the pulley by hand to see it they are not freely spinning?
Old 09-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Good suggestion. I'll try, but since they are all going to have some degree of resistance, I don't think I'll know if they are spinning freely. I'm a noob when it comes to engines.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

you can tell if something is locking up or you can hear it. Also is your ac on when you hear this?