General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Windshield Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 09:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield Replacement?

So I was thinking about reinstalling my windshield myself, I got a new trim gasket but am having a hard time coming up with the liquid/silicone gasket material that is used to seal it to the car.. anyone have any help or know what is used?

thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 01:16 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Clean the surface around the inside edge of the windshield where the urethane adhesive will be applied. Use a dampened cloth with either isopropyl alcohol or GM Window Cleaner P/N 1050427 or the equivalent."

"Shake the pinchweld primer #3 (black) well.
Apply the primer to any exposed painted surfaces (or scratches to bare metal) on the pinchweld flange.
Allow the primer to dry 10 minutes."

"Do not allow the window preparation #1 (clear) to drip or spill onto the vision area of the windshield. The primer dries instantly and may stain the viewing area if not applied evenly."

"When replacing stationary windows, Urethane Adhesive Kit GM P/N 12346392, or a urethane adhesive system meeting GM Specification GM3651M, must be used to maintain original installation integrity."

"Do not direct a hard stream of high pressure water at the fresh adhesive."

"At least 24 hours are required for complete curing of repair material. The repair area should not be physically distrubed until after that time."

"Allow the vehicle to remain at room temperature, 22°C (72°F) and 30 percent relative humidity for a minimum of 6 hours.

Partially lower a door window in order to prevent pressure build up when closing the doors before the urethane adhesive cures. Do not drive the vehicle until the urethane adhesive is cured. Do not drive the vehicle for a minimum of 6 hours. Do not use compressed air in order to dry the urethane adhesive."

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement?