General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

won't start on first turn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start on first turn?

i notice im havin a lil problem lately when i go to turn the key to turn the car on it wont turn on, doesnt even try to start but the radio and everything works, i let off and try to start it again and it starts right up? whats up with that? it seems its doing it more often lately ? maybe a bad starter or what? any help would be cool
thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the ignition switch or a loose wire somewhere in the circuit too.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Teching In

I'm actually having the same problem! It's weird though, because it only happens in the morning. I took it to a shop and they had no problems starting it up so they didn't know what is was either. It has been getting worse for me though too.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Does the car crank at all? Does it crank but no start? If you get no crank I would get the battery and charging system checked. If that looks OK then it most likely is the starter.

If it cranks but no start then it probably is the lack of fuel pressure. Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump buzz. When it stops the system is pressurized and you can start it. I do this and it fires right up first try.

I have been seeing alot of this no crank in the mornings and it will crank later on in the day at work. 9 out of 10 times it is the starter. I think the cool temps and damp air cause the solenoid problem and the starter to not spin.

Dave
Old 09-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Teching In

I don't mean to hi-jack the thred, but since it's the same problem....When I turn the key the first few times, there is absolutly NOTHING! No crank, no electricity, nothing! Then on the fourth or fifth time the electricity will come on and then after the sixth or seventh time the engine will come on. This entire process takes about 60 seconds I would say.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my problem was the alternater when my car did this?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Mine is a little off subject but maybe not. Since my car has a SLP mass air, my car once and a while when I start it will run like ****, sputter around 200-400 rpms, i'll rev it and it will die back down to those rpm. When I go to restart it, I get nothing, like the car is completely dead. I'll let it sit for a second or two, then it will fire up and run fine... Does this still sound like mass air or maybe something further to get looked into. BTW this happens 1-2 times every couple weeks, not a daily thing.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

A lot of times its the starter going when that happens.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DWillTA
Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump buzz. When it stops the system is pressurized and you can start it. I do this and it fires right up first try.
That's the key. It will tell you if it is a fuel problem or a spark problem. A lot of people don't know it but really and truly you should switch it to run for a couple seconds and let the fuel pump prime every time you start it. Most people don't but it's less wear on the starter. If you wait and do it like Dave says, it turns over instantaneously under normal circumstances.