General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Keep Blowing IP Dimmer fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005 | 04:29 PM
12 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Default Keep Blowing IP Dimmer fuse

I don't know if this is right spot for this post but I figured it is since it's a electrical problem, anyways, I was racing last night and I had my headlights on, went into the burnout box and my instrument lights went out, so I ran and came into the pits and put a new fuse in, soon as I turn on the lights, popped another one, this has happened to me once before but after I put a fuse in it the first time, it worked fine for about a month, then this happened again. I put a 10 amp and a 15 amp (orginally 5 amp) and popped both of those right when I cut the lights on. So I went out this morning to fiddle with it a little and I look and I blew my headlight/tail lights fuse, this is first time this has ever happened. So I put a new fuses in both the spots and the headlights and gauge lights works awesome. Here's the problem now, I can dim my gauge lights all the way down and the gauge fuse never blows, as soon as I start to brighten them about halfway the fuse blows, what the hell is the problem?? When the dimmer fuse BOTH times I never touched the dimmer switch, both times it's blown is when I've turned the head lights on. I'm pretty good with mechanical work but when it comes to electrical, I fall WAY short, I'm guessing the dimmer switch may be blown but what's the deal with the headlight fuse blowing? The only wiring I've done on the car is a shift light and oil temp gauge, but both of these have been on the car for about 5 months. I checked under the dash at my wiring and no bare wires. Someone help me please, I hate electircal work