General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

dex cool vs regular antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dex cool vs regular antifreeze

what is the difference between the two? Also I am doing a complete radiator flush will Roya Purple purple ice be compatiable with dex cool?

Thanks,
Curtis
Old 10-08-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dex cool is formulated for our aluminum engines. It keeps them from rusting as quickly as they would with regular anti-freeze. Do not use regularly anti-freeze or anything that is not Dex-cool compliant.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

i heard there are alot of people who switched. I just changed my coolant and replaced with more dexcool, the dexcool was in pretty bad shape although it did have some mileage on it.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It can be done, and people do switch to regular antifreeze for whatever reasons. Wait about a year or two and see what the motor/radiator system looks like after a corrosion agent has been in there for a while.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

the dex-cool is made for aluminum engines as stated above.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

But if you do switch, make sure you do a complete flush. Do not mix the two together.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, you can switch to green coolant. And if at any point your car accidentally had green coolant in it, you should probably stick with it.

Dex cool is formulated to last longer, and in a virgin state it will. The main reason why green coolant in our type of system is such a problem, is because the all aluminum system won't brown the coolant when rust starts.

So you use green coolant... it stays nice and green for several years... but in reality the aluminum is rusting like mad and you find out the hard way. Aluminum doesn't brown rust.

If it has Dex cool in it... flush it and use Dex cool again, probably every 50k miles or 3-4 years.

If it's green... do it every other year, or perhaps even every year.

As said just absolutely do not mix them. Mixed = sludge.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why run anything else? It seems to me that GM recommends Dex cool only for a reason
Old 10-10-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luna
Why run anything else? It seems to me that GM recommends Dex cool only for a reason

You are correct. Dex-cool is either very low in silicates or has none @ all, don't remember which. High silicate radiator fluid eats water pumps. Would stick with Dex-cool. However, if other brand is desired, then check to make sure that it is low silicate or no silicate anti-freeze.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have an owners manual... what is the fluid capacity, just so I know how much to dexcool to buy? I would like to get in a good flush before it gets too cold outside.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luna
The only reason I would ever run anything outside of Dex Cool... is if the car ends up with green coolant in it, from a previous owner, an improper service, emergency, whatever.

Once the silacates are in there, even doing a thorough flush and going back to Dex cool isn't going to work as intended, and carries some risk of sludging up.

Once the green coolant is in there, you can use either or, but be careful to flush it to being a pure as possible, and plan on making much more frequent changes. Green coolant can only be trusted for prolly 2 years max, and Dex cool, once compromised, is no better.

Quick Reply: dex cool vs regular antifreeze