General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tie Rod Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to fun here is a pic of what it kinda looked like.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick question: is there a sure fire way to diagnose if it's the inner or outer tie rod that needs replacement? The only thing i've seen is to do the 9/3 o'clock check with the wheel on the ground versus in the air but i'm not really sure if that would be conclusive. I know i've got slop in the driver front and maybe very little on the pass. side but I don't want to replace the outers if they're okay. They're Baer trackers and are like twice as much as the moog replacements. They've only been on for 50k and the stock inners have been on for 96k.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Oh I forgot to mention, the car doesn't feel like it's wandering on the highway like it did when the original outer tie rods went out (had horrible tire wear and car felt like a dog down a road lined with dog poo...ALL OVER THE PLACE)
Old 09-15-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are signs but also you could mistake it for a bad alignment.

When I replaced mine I noticed the outer ties could be pushed around in my hands easily and had some play. The inners were a little easy to push around and didnt really have any end play.

I think a small amount of wear makes our cars handle noticeably worse though
Old 09-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Launching!

I'm going to disconnect the outers at the spindle when I bleed the brakes tomorrow and see if there's a lot of slop. Of course I already ordered the new ones...oh well, I can always put them on the shelf and use them later. Of course I know there is slop on the driver's side and the steering wheel feels like i have to turn it more to the left to get the car to go that direction (like there's slop turning to the left) versus going to the right.

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Replacement?