General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car sometimes has trouble starting after it dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car sometimes has trouble starting after it dies

On the rare occasion i forget to turn off my a/c before i turn my car it will die. But then when I try to start it back up sometimes it will try and start for 5-10 seconds before it'll actaully start up. Whenever the a/c is off and I crank it up it turns over first crank. Its just after it's just recently died that it'll have problems starting back up. Anybody know why this is? It's not a sign of my starter goin out?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Having trouble cranking or firing?? If it's trouble firing after it dies, try turning the key to the RUN position to re-prime the fuel system.. Do that a couple times. Unless your AC pump is seized and the clutch is engauged (for the ac pump) it should not effect the starting sys...
Old 10-13-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

trouble firing ... it will crank as soon as i turn the key. Turning the key to run and letting everything reprime works and gets the car fired up eventually ... just wondering if this was a normal symptom for cammed cars or if its a sign of something starting to go.

thanks for the reply tho
Old 10-13-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Conversely, it could be flooding the cylinder if you stall it. I have that happen sometime if I try to move my car when its cold, it doesn't like to idle well until its warm. I actually had to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it over a few times to clear the fuel out, then it started back up fine.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a tuning problem to me. Mine also doesn't like to idle w/ AC on and if it dies then it's hard to start back up (hot starts or w/ ac on). Try the PCM diagnostics and tuning forum...lots of people that know how to tune these bigger cams to idle like stock w/ and w/o AC on. Just bought HPTuners and I'm slowly getting mine smoothed out.