General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mystery oil leak on LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery oil leak

Been tracking this down forever. Can't seem to find the problem. It doesn't leave a clear path and it gets all over everything on the right side. After I stop driving the car, I will accumulate about 2-4 little dime sized droplets of oil on the ground. Some of the things I have tried: new copper washer on the drain plug, expoxied the welds on the edge of the pan, put a nice layer of silicone on the lip of the oil pan and gasket, siliconed the whole right side of the pain, siliconed the dipstick tube, checked torque the top oil pan plug (there's a plug on the top of the sump), replaced the valve cover and gasket, retightened the back intake bolts, retightened the pan bolts, and yet I am still getting the same oil leak somewhere. Where is this coming from?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

The only thing you haven't mentioned (that could be on the right side) is intake gasket, timing cover or head gasket. If your that stumped, pressure wash the motor, let it dry. Put it on jack stands, let it run while your under it. Your bound to find the starting point that way.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

the silicone prolly is shot in the back of the intake and even after tighening the bolts it's still prolly going to leak. Get your hand or something back there to check, But I'd be willing to bet you need to change your intake gaskets
Old 10-15-2005, 04:41 AM
Staging Lane

i have a front timing cover/front main leak and it gets everywhere. I would look there cause from what i hear its a common problem on LT1/SBC's. Also possibly look to think its the rear main.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Well the timing cover does have a little seepage but what I am seeing is dripping off the back of the motor, almost directly under the starter. Most of the oil seems to be getting on the starter. Don't think the timing cover is it. Already had those leaks under control (had those too). The rear main is definitely not it. When I swapped trannies I was gonna replace it cuz I thought that was the culprit. It was dry as a bone. Oil had never leaked from the rear main and that was easy to see. I have felt on the back of the intake but can't really find any residue there although I'm thinking that's it. It's about all that's left. I am just reluctant to crawl under the motor while it's running because of having to be so close. I don't like the idea of the flywheel and TC spinning right there about 3 inches from my face. I may give one of the shops a call this week and see if we can put it on the rack.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem I've tracked to the front main seal. So I changed the seal and it still leaks. I read that the seal overtime will wear a groove in the hub. After reading that I did notice that the hub had a groove it where the seal surrounds it. So, I'm gonna get a brand new hub from gm and see it that fixes it.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I've had 6 or more front seals but found out that wasn't the problem. The front timing cover leaks I had previously mentioned were mainly coming from the seal around the water pump drive. The oil was running down on the balancer and it was getting everywhere, making the hub look like the culprit. I have a relatively new Fluidampr so it's good for a while. Like I said, my oil is coming from the back of the motor somewhere. I have been reluctant to using synthetics cuz I didn't want to be putting in a $5.50/quart every 1000 miles.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

oh so you got a bad oil leak? Mines no where near a quart every 1000 miles. I would difinitely clean it and get it on a lift.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem with my car - it ended up being the dipstick tube
I know you mentioned you already re-sealed it but you may want to double check it - my oil leak covered the starter and looked like it could have been coming from the oil pan or the rear main seal, I thought it was the rear main or the back of the pan because the flywheel had oil on it when I took the inspection cover off - I unfortunately changed the rear main and the oil pan gasket only to find out it was the dipstick tube leaking down the pan rail and then leaking on the bellhousing area making it look like a leak from a different spot. Goodluck!
Old 10-15-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmmm. I may tackle that again. I went out after my last post and looked and it's getting to be a lot of oil now. Now it seems to be running down off the tranny pan. It used to drip down below the starter. Of course I have just recently gained a tranny pan so now it may have found a new path. If I am gonna tackle this dipstick tube again, I wanna know the right way to do it. What did you do to seal it? What do they do from the factory?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

ttttttttt

Quick Reply: Mystery oil leak on LT1