General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattle From Engine At Low Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle From Engine At Low Throttle

It only happens when I am in first gear and barely press'n the gas . If I give it more gas it will disapear. It sound like somebody is shaking a metal rattle under my hood . My first car, a POS 92 Ford Tempo , had a belt tensioner problem. In fact, alot of those shitty cars have this problem. The sound that my Bird makes kinda reminds me of that Tempo. If I try to listen under the hood and give the engine a few revs, I can't reproduce that same noise. Although, I do hear a strange noise coming from the upper-left most tensioner pulley . Has anybody else had this problem? Searching the post have left me with nothing!

Last edited by FearLS1; 10-18-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

you cammin ? . or maybe you just arent driving it aggressive enough.....LS1's love to get dogged
Old 10-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

I've had the same problem and have been researching for a long time on how to fix it. There are some possible solutions here to the 'rough idle' you describe. (Search keywords: Rough Idle) It sounds like a fuel injector problem, however, I've run countless bottles of different types of fuel injector cleaner that has done absolutely NOTHING. It sitll idles rough a low rpm's for some reason. Alot of people think the fluid does nothing and the only way to truly clean the fuel injectors is to take it in and have GM manually clean them. This is quite costly and could run you around a few hundred bucks.

The other solution that I've read is replacing the spark plugs. How many miles do you have on your car and are you running off the stock spark plugs? Have you put your own plugs in there? It's highly recommended to get the NGK TR55 and they are about 1.58 each. (They will beat and 5 dollar one!) This option is a lot less costly and have fixed many of peoples "rough idle" symptoms.

Hope this helped!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody??
Old 10-21-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the top