General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Speedo Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Replacement Question

I was curious whether I have to take my car to a dealer if I get a new speedo to make sure that my odometer is transfered from the old one to the new one, or if thecorrect milage will show up on my brand new unit. thanks for your help!
Old 10-17-2005, 09:39 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mileage is stored in a component on the gauge cluster's circuitboard. Since you presumably are talking about replacing the instrument cluster (rather than the speed sensor), in that case you would either have the mileage readout of the car you got a used one from, or 0 miles on a new one. If you have the work done at a dealer, they might be able to (might only be the larger dealerships, I don't know) reprogram the new one to match your current mileage.

Here's what the GM manual says about this:

"When an instrument cluster is replaced, the law requires that the odometer reading of the replacement unit be set to register the same mileage as the prior odometer. If the same mileage cannot be set the law requires that the following actions be performed:

- Set the replacement odometer to zero.
- Install a label on the driver's door frame, providing the following information:
The previous odometer reading
The date of the replacement"

They have a diagram of what the sticker is supposed to have on it, but it's at too low of a resolution for the text to be clear, and it has stuff in both English and French since it's the GM Of Canada version, so I'll just type it out:

Odometer Repair/Replacement

The odometer on this vehicle was repaired and
turned back to zero, or was replaced with an
odometer set at zero. Mileage prior to repair/
replacement was:

__________ miles, or __________ kilometers

Date repaired/replaced: ______________

By employee no.: ______________

This sticker is not to be removed or altered.