General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

easiest way to remove a/c compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default easiest way to remove a/c compressor?

hey guys,my a/c comp gave up on me so i have to replace it.i already took it to a shop to get the freeon remove.but not i have to remove the a/c comp.is it hard or easy i saw it has like 3 bolts by the passenger side header wat else does it have?also if i remove the freeon will this give me a ses light? because i got one?
Old 10-23-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will not give you an SES light if you remove the freeon, it will give you an SES light because you remove the compressor and therefore leave the electrical connector to it unattached. Easiest way to remove it is to take the accessory belt off, and then take the a/c belt off. Get under the car and disconnect the electrical connector going to the compressor, the a/c lines going to it, and remove the 3 bolts holding it in. That's it, put the accessory belt back on and u're set.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:43 AM
12 Second Club

there are 4 bolts, two on top and two on the bottom, the third bolt in the middle on top is for the bracket and is removal is unnecessary. if you arent changing the belt, all you have to do is loosen it with the tensioner and move it out of the way. there is one bolt holding the line in in the back but you'll probably have to get the compressor out a little before you can really get to it. this job is much easier if you dont have EGR.

i think the best way is to remove the top bolts first, because the compressor is kinda heavy, you can support it while you remove the bottom bolts. when putting a new one on its much easier to put the top bolts on first, but dont put them in all the way because mine was a bitch to line up all the bolts and thats with them all loose. have fun.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is easy to remove. More so on lift. Took about 30 min.

Just vacumn after install, fill with R 134a and Ester Oil. Ester oil is prefilled into compressor. Check your packing to find the rating of oil you need to use. Can all be bought at any auto parts store. Easy to do.

100% DYI

Now my problem is finding out why mine doesn't turn on. Works when turned on at relay. Computer shows Pressure sensor malfunction and there is not 5 volts at one side of the switch.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

the auto parts told me that i cant flush the condenser,is this true?sounds pretty easy to remove.so i wont get a ses light by the freeon missing?then how about adding some lucas
non slip to the tranny and overfilling it a bit?will this cause an ses light?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
It is easy to remove. More so on lift. Took about 30 min.

Just vacumn after install, fill with R 134a and Ester Oil. Ester oil is prefilled into compressor. Check your packing to find the rating of oil you need to use. Can all be bought at any auto parts store. Easy to do.

100% DYI

Now my problem is finding out why mine doesn't turn on. Works when turned on at relay. Computer shows Pressure sensor malfunction and there is not 5 volts at one side of the switch.
hey me and you might be having a similar problem, i replaced my AC compressor a little more than a month ago and got the system checked and charged, but the damn compressor wouldnt turn on, the shop that charged the system wanted to charge me another $100 to trace the wires to see what the problem was. i didnt feel like paying, i didnt get as far as you though. all i know is my compressor isnt getting any power.

SUPER hijack by the way...overfilling the trans should cause it to eventually puke out the extra fluid, i dont know if it would throw any SES light.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
the auto parts told me that i cant flush the condenser,is this true?sounds pretty easy to remove.so i wont get a ses light by the freeon missing?then how about adding some lucas
non slip to the tranny and overfilling it a bit?will this cause an ses light?
Unless the condenser is radically different than any other out there you can flush it. Sounds like they want you to buy a new one.
While you are doing all this plug any open lines; Refrigerant/oil residue become acidic when exposed to moisture. Hell, even some tape will help. When compressors go they like to leave metal particles behind so replace the orffice tube and always put a new accumulator/dryer in.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

wats the orffice tube?are the acumulator and the dryer the same thing?

Quick Reply: easiest way to remove a/c compressor?