General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Leak

The last couple of days Ive noticed under my 2000 SS a leak near where the Radiator and Battery are on the passenger side (towards the front of car), when the small puddle dries up like the next day , the spot where it leaked on my driveway is white and the prememter of the puddle almost having a little orange in it.........My 1st initial thought was Battery acid leaking (the battery sits right over where the leak is). But I cant see where the fluid is coming from because by the time I get home its dark (this isnt my daily driver)... The car still has the original battery in it , dont know if that matters or not, and it just started in the last week or so. The puddles arent real big but still raises a little concern. The car has also had a little bit of trouble cranking (starter drags slower than normal) in the same time period too, like the battery is starting to die gradually.

Anyone else think this is just acid and I just need a new battery? or something else? All answers appreciated!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the original Delco battery i'd take a hard look at the positive terminal - sure sounds like yours is leaking.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
With the original Delco battery i'd take a hard look at the positive terminal - sure sounds like yours is leaking.
Yep, sounds like the battery is leaking.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Camaro had starting issues just like that about a year ago (hmm, your car is newer and is possibly having the same problem.....good to know it is predictable). When I went to disconnect the battery to get it tested, the positive terminal broke off of the battery and was still connected to the positive red wire! Got the terminal off of the wire and installed a new battery, no starting problems. Sounds like that could be your problem.

As far as the leak, I would also check under to car to see if there are any drips. My power steering has started leaking recently and I think one of my pressure regulators in the system is messed up. It keeps pressurizing the reservoir and causing fluid to spray from the connection to the steering rack.

Power steering fluid is a reddish-orange.

And our coolant (Dexcool) is orange as well.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
My Camaro had starting issues just like that about a year ago (hmm, your car is newer and is possibly having the same problem.....good to know it is predictable). When I went to disconnect the battery to get it tested, the positive terminal broke off of the battery and was still connected to the positive red wire! Got the terminal off of the wire and installed a new battery, no starting problems. Sounds like that could be your problem.

As far as the leak, I would also check under to car to see if there are any drips. My power steering has started leaking recently and I think one of my pressure regulators in the system is messed up. It keeps pressurizing the reservoir and causing fluid to spray from the connection to the steering rack.

Power steering fluid is a reddish-orange.

And our coolant (Dexcool) is orange as well.
good points.....I would say either the battery or coolant, power steering pump would be wrong side, I will look first chance I get. Thanks all!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Checked tonight with flashlight, definately the battery, it is leaking slowly but surely from the + terminal. Its also corroding this bolt and nut that its hiting b4 the fluid hits the pavement, somewhere on the chassis. I will be taking it out and going to Autozone tommorow to get a new one