General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

very strange fan noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Have a very strange fan noise??

I have recently purchased a 01 Z28. I bought the car in the Houston summer heat and shortly after driving the car I noticed a fan noise that would come on as soon as the car started up. It kinda sounds like a turbo-charger. The fan will cut off after warming up after 5 minutes. When Im driving the car, the fan comes on after I run the engine hard. The fan then shuts off after the RPM's go back down. The only mod to the car is SLP LM exhaust.

My question is do all the LS1's do this or is this something I should be worried about? Any responses would be great....
Old 10-26-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look at the water temp is it really high at all. what dose your needle usually read under normal driving?? I dont hear that when I first start my car. Also turn on the car and see if you can see where the noise is comming from under the hood.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The water temp is normal. I checked under the hood and it sounds like its coming from the throttle body area. I really cant pin point it though...I just assume it was an aftermarket part someone put on.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Huh maybe you have this. Have you taken the claps off and actually looked at it.
http://www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=adWordsCamaro
If this is it then i guess its a mod. Or vac leak, I would still take the clamps off and look anyways. I think I might try that thing also, maybe if i get bored.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Wonder if it might be a faulty check valve in the AIR system... I think the '01 and '02s still have the AIR system, just not EGR...