General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wrecked the car. kind of.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrecked the car. kind of.

I basically took the Z offroad and mudding through a ditch and into a field..

I was lucky but there is still some damage. It was the passenger side that took the damage and impact of the ditch before the car flew into the field.The front end fender is cracked right under my foglight on the passenger side, and the fog light itself is pushed up into the slot. There are scrapes and such all over the fender but I consider myself lucky. My main question is the quarter panel in front of the front passenger tire is dangling. I lost one piece and the rest all came loose/ripped off/ got unbolted. So there is now an opening where u can see a 'hose?' and everything else. How important is it to have that area in front of the tire sealed off say if water was to get in there?... Lots of the plastics are loose in front of the passenger tire and I am tempted to just rip them off and be done with it, this a bad idea??
Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

anyone?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:06 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how important it is to have that area sealed off, but if the stuff is dangling already, it's probably not sealing a whole lot as is. Hopefully you plan to get a replacement part(s) soon anyhow?
Old 11-05-2005, 05:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wtf were u doing 4wheeling in a fbod for?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think he was intentionally off-roading, I'd guess something more like - misjudged a corner, dodged a deer, spilled beer, etc. and the ditch/field was more like an after-effect.

All that stuff is there for a reason but the first thing I'd do is make sure your frame hasn't been twisted in unnatural ways, chances are it isn't, but better to check ahead of time. Body shop shouldn't charge a whole lot to check. As far as the fender/fascia/plastic pieces I'd try looking in a j-yard first, might be hard since most cars that new in j-yards are there because of front end damage but you never know. Sounds like mostly minor stuff, get everything straigtened out, then parts replaced, then get it touched-up and painted if it needs it. You'll be glad you did and you won't always have that nagging feeling like you just tore a bunch of parts off your car and threw them away.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:24 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

If fenderwell liner is FUBAR, I would get that replaced / remounted for sure.
Get a body shop to look it over, it may be able to be all straightened up / remounted with the bumper R&R paint job you surely need. I've had the bumper R&R / repainted twice now usually costs about $250.
All that plastic stuff keeps water/crud out of the headlight area, with an access door just forward of the wheel that bolts up with I think 2 bolts, 10mm head.
When all that plastic stuff gets stressed it sometimes pulls the bolts out of the little "clips" or whatever that pass for nuts under there, can be replaced.
Hope this made sense, been through this before.