General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Electrical Problem...HELP

I have the oddest thing happening. Almost everytime I start my car I hear a click from behind the dash and my guages all go nuts for a minute and then go back to normal. My trip on the odometer also clears out each time. All the guages basically go as far as they can clockwise when the click noise happens and then slowly go back to normal. It's not that big of a deal I guess but it is really starting to get on my nerves bc I like to watch my "trip" for gas mileage.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does your dash board / guages light at night? Or are they still dark when you turn on the lights at night? I ask because the "taillights" fuse blew last week when I was working on my 98 TA. It took me a little while to figure this out as I was working on the front left directional signal. I noticed that I had no "dash lights" and that if I raised my headlights and then moved the headlight switch back to the center then the headlights closed... which is not normal. They are suppose to stay up once activated until you turn the headlight switch all the way off.

Anyway, once I figured it out that that 20 amp fuse had blow, and replaced it, I noticed that my tripometer had reset to 0.

I hope that helps.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ramairbrc
Does your dash board / guages light at night? Or are they still dark when you turn on the lights at night? I ask because the "taillights" fuse blew last week when I was working on my 98 TA. It took me a little while to figure this out as I was working on the front left directional signal. I noticed that I had no "dash lights" and that if I raised my headlights and then moved the headlight switch back to the center then the headlights closed... which is not normal. They are suppose to stay up once activated until you turn the headlight switch all the way off.

Anyway, once I figured it out that that 20 amp fuse had blow, and replaced it, I noticed that my tripometer had reset to 0.

I hope that helps.
All my lights seem to be working perfectly at the moment. No idea on what to check out.