General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Broken Tranny Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Tranny Mount

I am pretty sure that I broke a tranny mount or something because it seems like my motor sags a lot more! Right now the front end is sticking up and the back end looks pushed down. Everything is still connected fine but I assume the motor is pretty much sitting on the exhaust or something. The car performs the same but sounds different, quieter. Also I think that this could be causing the hitting sound from somewhere in my valvetrain it seems..I am not able to post pics but I would appreciate any input or pics of an engine that is sitting correctly that you guys could salvage for me.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

ttt...
Old 11-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Teching In

dont know what to say about the sagging motor.

but if you do have a blown trans mount... on a moderate to hard takeoff.. you should hear and feel a bump coming from between the front seats..

apply the hand brake.. safely jack and support your car using jackstands..

get your jack and jack up on the transmission pan slightly using a long peice of wood between jack and pan to keep from bending your trans pan..

the get underneith and look at the mount.. if it has seperated or cracked.. then you need a new mount.. pretty cheap...

just unbolt the cross member 2 bolts on each side.. and the center bolt for mount... which takes a different socket

now just unbolt the remainder of the mount and replace with new mount reversing these steps.. the mount can only go in one way.. should take no more than a half hour.. spending most of your time safely jacking the vehicle...
Old 11-11-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

I also have a bad tranny mount. The shop wanted over $80 so I'll be doing it myself. Is the mount the same for manual and auto?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

The answer is Yes. Automatic and Manual transmission mounts are the same for LT-1. I'm not sure about the others. Anyway. It took about 45 minutes including cleanup. You need a jack stand, jack, 13mm and 15mm sockets. 15mm gets the crossmember off and 13mm gets the mount off. You may be able to use wrenches instead of sockets but it would probably be a lot harder. I put a jack stand under the driver side front and jacked the transmission up an inch or so and started turning bolts.