General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spun bearing

Old 11-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun bearing

Does anybody know what a spun bearing sounds like? I have a 2000 SS thats making a rhythmic grinding noise. I put it on ramps and laid under the car and the sound is coming from the crank area. It still runs great but the noise is gradually getting lounder. There has been small pieces of metal stuck to the the magnet at oil changes. The car has 77,000 miles and has had a 150 for the past 2 years. It's not used much but I know the juice is hard on the stock internals. Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just had to replace my motor, same thing well Lifters messed up the cam and all that good stuff. Fixed that and went for a dyno tune and that is where it made the horrible noise, It started as a skweek skweeek, kind of like a bad belt or something. THen the Awfull ginding, with some tick tick tick. I left it there at the shop, I took metal out of the magnet on the oil all the time as well. I dont know that much about the juice but Mine was all N/A. See if this helps. Mine had 88k on it when this happened.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help, I have the skweek skweek and the ticking noise although you can only hear the ticking inside the car (very weird). I suspected a spun bearing was the problem. How long can they go with a spun bearing? The car will be paid off in Oct 06 and it's not a daily driver. I'm hoping it can last until then.

Search this Thread