General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What would happen if you put dexcool in with no water?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would happen if you put dexcool in with no water?

I recently had a coolant flushed at a buddies shop, basically they put some orange stuff in straight from a bottle, i couldnt tell if it was pre mixed or not. I know they didnt add any water. The car heats up fine. Would i notice something odd? Could it do any engine damage?

Mike
Old 11-05-2005, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

i believe you would notice. i forgot why though, damn what a dumbass i am right now.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Pure antifreeze would probably overheat... Can anyone else back me up on this one?
Old 11-05-2005, 03:10 PM

It would not cool the car enough. You need water mixed with the antifreez. They do sell pre-mixed Dexcool.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so i wouldve noticed something by now? To be perfectly honest, after they changed my coolant and stuffed, i noticed a decrease in mileage from that period on, the coolant spewed all over the engine bay like volcano and they washed it off, see my other thread.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Launching!

that is why only i work on my car.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
ok so i wouldve noticed something by now? To be perfectly honest, after they changed my coolant and stuffed, i noticed a decrease in mileage from that period on, the coolant spewed all over the engine bay like volcano and they washed it off, see my other thread.
WTF?? what else did they do? Drain it out and go buy some. Read the back of the jug it will have the proper mixing ratios for your climate. Make sure to bleed the system.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:58 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.shell.ca/code/motoring/ti...ze_engine.html
Why is antifreeze mixed with water when it is used in the radiator?

The primary ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol, which when mixed with water lowers the temperature at which the mixture freezes.

Ethylene glycol will also raise the temperature at which water boils, so in effect, antifreeze gives water a lower freezing point and higher boiling point than normal.

However, just like water, ethylene glycol's freezing point is higher if used by itself than if it is mixed with water; it takes both antifreeze and water in a mixture, to stay liquid at very low temperatures.

Antifreeze also contains rust inhibitors and anti-foam additives to help a vehicle's engine. For best results, it should be used year-round.

Do I need antifreeze in the summer?

Yes. An antifreeze serves two purposes: to lower the engine coolant's freezing point in the winter, and to raise the coolant's boiling point in the summer.

For example, at a 50-50 mixture of water and antifreeze, the coolant's boiling point will be raised to 130°C -- much higher than that of water alone -- and thus further protects the engine from overheating in summer temperatures.
see also: http://www.carcarecanada.ca/DOCUMENT.CFM?ITEMID=3944

Quick Reply: What would happen if you put dexcool in with no water?