General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bad alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad alternator?

noticed yesterday when i turned on my rear defroster my volt gauge dropped from 14 down to 10, then turned on front defroster it dropped to 8, turned them all off and it went back to normal, put new battery in about 2-3 months ago just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if the alternator is causing this, i don't have any stereo upgrades or other items that would possibly affect the alternator.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your rear defroster does draw a lot of current but it shouldn't drop down that much. I would suggest going to someplace like autozone or advanced and having them test the alternator. They should do it for free and in the car. What you want to look at is that the voltage doesn't drop down too low when you apply a load to the system
Old 11-09-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Your rear defroster does draw a lot of current but it shouldn't drop down that much. I would suggest going to someplace like autozone or advanced and having them test the alternator. They should do it for free and in the car. What you want to look at is that the voltage doesn't drop down too low when you apply a load to the system
I would almost say that it is 100% your alternator since that is the only thing keeping the current going after the car is started. You will also notice it if you drive at night with your lights on. Your gauge will drop and your lights will dim the lower the RPM.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Teching In

How fast would the battery drain if the alternator was bad?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrus
How fast would the battery drain if the alternator was bad?

Depends how much stuff you have turned on. IN the case above it sounds like his alternator is still working just not up to par. If it dies all together you will be able to make a short trip, but it also depends how much stuff is turned on, like your radio, headlights, heater they will drain the battery down quicker
Old 11-09-2005, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the input guys, think i will go and have it tested, before i get a new one, also noticed it did the same thing with the a/c on so it might be time for a new one