General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What noise do bad shocks or springs make?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What noise do bad shocks or springs make?

i have an 01 ss vert and when ever i turn or come to a stop i get a weird noise from the back of my car. i was first thinking differential but it also happens when slowing down in a straight line.i just went out to drive it and it didnt happen so it comes and goes i cant disscribe the noise but its not a squeak or squeal i want to say it like springs be compressed. what could be the cause of this.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Bad shocks you'll feel when you go over a bump. It will hit really hard. You can also tell if you press down on the back bumper of the car to make it bounce. When the shocks on the Firehawk went bad, you could also see green fluid on the outside of them (they were leaking).
Old 11-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

any other symptoms? what does it feel like? My rear also is making a noise. when I push down on the back it compresses and half way it starts to squeak. I searched and would like to find out more as well.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

The stocker decarbon ACDelco shocks are crap. If you have those, replace them as soon as possible. They give the nastiest ride out of any shock that I have ever been on. (no pun intended) *Me bouncing on a shock in the garage like a pogo stick* ahh good times good times. Go with some Hal's or Koni's, I hear Bilsteins are good as well.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Check your lower control arm bolt especially the end that mounts to the frame. I had a clunk coming from my passanger side and sure enough it was loose. I noticed while putting on the new UMI SFC that the passanger side came off nice and easy while the drivers side I had to use a pipe on my ratchet to break it loose. When I put the SFC on I torqued them to 100 Ftlbs. Nice and quiet now.

Quick Reply: What noise do bad shocks or springs make?