General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Car wont start

@#(*&#@$!!!!

My car wont start. I disassembled and cleaned out the clutch safety switch, I even jumped the clip with a paperclip. I removed vats with hptuners. I hear the fuel pump cycle. Ive got plenty of battery. I even swapped the ignition and starter relays. ALl the fuses look good. What else could I be missing?
Old 11-13-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well last night no matter what I tried, she wouldnt start. Even gave it a couple hours inbetweeh and went out to dinner with some friends, when I got back she still wouldnt start. This morning however, she started right up on the first try. WTF?!?!? Any ideas on what to check so that this dosnt happen to me away from home?
Old 11-13-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when it didn't start..what did it do? click? turnover but not catch? security light flashing? just saying a car wouldn't start isn't descirptive enough
Old 11-13-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry, i thought i had mentioned that. No, no security light, but i did remove vats with HPTuners just incase. The starter did not even click. The fuel pump did cycle and the lights shut off as normal when you turned the key, but no action from the starter. Basically it acted the same as if you were to try and start the car without pushing in the clutch, but like i said, i did clean out the clutch switch and even tried shorting it with a paperclip. For what its worth, I had just washed the car, so maybe water has something to do with it. Or maybe the cold. But it had just started an hour earlier before the problems arose last night.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an amp with the power lead on the battery + terminal, check it for corrosion, if it's gotten loose, or something like that, sometimes it's enough to prevent the starter from working, but not the fuel pump, lights, etc etc
If it happens again try taking the amps power wire off and reconnecting the + without the amps power wire.
Used to happen on my IROC sometimes, especially after I'd wash it
Old 11-13-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nope, its a new battery with gold plated terminals so theres no corrosion. I have a feeling its the starter or the solenoid. From time to time I was getting what sounded like the starter teeth bouncing on the flywheel cause they wernet engiging properly.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Try hitting the starter a couple of times with pipe or something, sometimes when the starter is going out it tends to get stuck and will not do anything.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I forgot to post back up. After being unable to start it after hours of trying, i went to bed. The following morning, I got up and it started the very first try. My current guess is the starter, although it hasnt gotten stuck again since. I pulled it out and cleaned out the clutch material and put it back. So far so good, but just to be on the safe side, i ordered a new one from valvegod on monday. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was gonna say that it might have been the ignition switch but im not sure if our new ls1 have them...i know my 72 camaro has it and it was doing the same thing
Old 11-17-2005, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

I had a similar problem with my 01 SS. Under the hood is a fuse box, well 2 actually. One of them has relays for IGN and Starter. Try swapping them since they are the same relay and see if it fires up. It fixed mine when i did this. IGN requires much more juice so u can run this way until u find a new relay. Give it a shot, only takes a few seconds to get it out. GOOD LUCK!

Justin
Old 11-17-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Justin01SS
I had a similar problem with my 01 SS. Under the hood is a fuse box, well 2 actually. One of them has relays for IGN and Starter. Try swapping them since they are the same relay and see if it fires up. It fixed mine when i did this. IGN requires much more juice so u can run this way until u find a new relay. Give it a shot, only takes a few seconds to get it out. GOOD LUCK!

Justin
I had already done this the night I couldnt get it started, but no joy. I should receive my starter today, but i really havnt had sny problem since that night.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like your starter to me man