General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Window Motor?

Old 11-20-2005, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Window Motor?

I've searched briefly and haven't seen a similar problem. Yesterday, when rolling up both windows, with about 1/4th the way left, my drivers side stops going up. It will not go up, or down, with the car on, or off. (ignition)

I can pull the window up about an inch or so by hand, but it will not stay there. I did not notice the motor slowing in comparison to the passanger side, so I don't understand why it would just stop working completely at once. Any suggestions?

And if I need to get a window motor, can someone point me into the direction of some installation instructions?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

New window motor. Mine did the same thing. If I drove for about 10 mintues then it would some how gather enough power to roll up the rest of the way ....very slowly. The bolt on the sliding track also came loose so when it was all the way down it would move frontward and backward about 2 inches. As far as being able to pull it up I would say after you take the door panel off and remove the pastic cover you should inspect the tightness of the bolts. I don't know any specifics but when you poke your head into the door you will see all of the parts that make the window move. As far as installation you will need to drill out the rivets of the old motor. Also, removing the door speaker willl be required, opens a big hole to be able to switch out the motors. If you buy an aftermarket, AC DELCO, $49.99 (compared to GM for around $115.00) you will be provided with screws. However, you can also rivet it back in if you have to tools. I used the screws but ended up drilling two holes for ease of installation. The only thing I dislike about the AC DELCO motor is that it is kind of noisy, especially compared to the OEM GM motor, which is still in the passenger door and moves very very slow. Anyways, it's not too difficult, just have patience.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you replace the motor get one with a lifetime warranty.

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

Same here. mine stopped 1/2 of the way. than after about 5 mins... it would go about 1/4 or the way... replaced the motor, everything works fine.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Launching!

It stops and wont work for a while because its encountering too much resistance. It needs to sit to cool down because its overheated. Just change the motor and buy the one made by siemens that they sell at autozone.

Do not buy the OEM one or else you will have to change it again and thats no fun.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

well you need new motors
Old 11-24-2005, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

I have replaced the motor, fixed the problem. But in doing so: (copying from my post in Stereo & electric)

During the replacement of my driver's power window motor, I managed to dislocate the 3 wires from the power lock switch. Can someone give me a diagram for reattachment? There's 3 wires (Black, Red/black-stripe, Orange/black-stripe) and 5 connection posts. I tried duplicating the setup from the passanger side, to no avail.

Moving the connections around, I can make it unlock, or lock, but never lock AND unlock (using up/down on the button, I can only activate one at a time)

Can anyone possibly pop their panel up, and report back how their's is wired in their TA or link me to something that would help me?

Search this Thread