General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

10W-30 in the winter time

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10W-30 in the winter time

I've had my Z28 for over 4 years here in Cleveland, Ohio.....and I've always run Mobil One Synthetic 10W-30 in it year round. Now I'm reading this stuff about if I love my engine I'll switch to the 5W-30 when its cold out. I just did an oil change, so I really don't want to have to throw away perfectly good oil.....but how much damage would you really think is being done by using the 10W-30?? It's not like Cleveland is Siberia or anything.....and I always let the car warm up a bit before hammering it.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have always used mobile 1 10w-30 year around, no problems...of course i live in TX and not Ohio...but i dont think it would do any damage
Old 11-21-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine that you're doing any "damage" at all.

People will argue about what oil is the absolute BEST, but engines can use a wide range of oils without keeling over. In this forum have been countless statements of types/brands/weights of oil used for intervals of between 1000 to more than 10,000 miles. I've never heard anyone who used a reasonable oil with reasonable change intervals killing their engine, or even having provable damage done.

10w-30 Mobil one is just fine, though it probably won't be long before there's a contrary opinion.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,275 Posts

As far as GM is concerned, 10W30 is just fine in an LS1 until you're into temps below 0*F. Below 0* 5W30 is recommended.

I prefer 10W30 as it seems to keep a higher oil pressure even once warm. Granted, I never use my LS1 in the winter months, but even during the non-winter season the car sees temps as low as the 40s or even 30s spring and fall, and I still stick with 10W30. 5W30 just seems too thin during the hot summer temps.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ZeeQuick,

I'm in Madison, Oh.. We're practically neighbors. The reason we don't run 10W-30 in NE, Ohio during the winter is because 10W is not thin enough to properly lubricate the engine while the engine is coming up to temperature. What this means is that the wear on the engine until reaching operating temperature is greater than it would be when using 5W or 0W. Greater wear on engine internals will occur. It's not a matter of damage, but, of pre-mature wear. The bearing tolerances in the LS1 are close & I would suggest 5W minimum. You can drain & save your 10W-30 for spring. Good-luck

BTW, we got 7" from the lake effect storm last week. There were cars & trucks in the median all over 90, East of Mentor. Every year it's the same old thing, somehow people here forget how to drive in snow. We drive in it from November through the end of March or later every year, but, somehow lose the skill over the summer....go figure.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

German Castrol 0W-30 FTW
Old 11-22-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I've run the 10W-30 in the car for the last three winters, and the car has over 105,000 miles on it.....so as far as accelerated wear is concerned, the damage (if there is any) is probably already done. Maybe if I get some time in the next week or so I'll do the drain and save....we'll see.

LS1-450,

Yeah, practically neighbors.....although I'd think out there in Madison you get just a touch more snow than we do here in the west suburbs. We did get a dusting today...which got me all excited cause I got to try out my new snow tires. I hear what you're saying about people forgetting how to drive in the bad weather.....happens every year, just today I saw a pretty nasty accident out on Route 3. I would think that out by you people would be even more conscience about how to drive in snow....but I guess from what you describe that's not the case. I think every 4-wheel drive vehicle should come with a disclaimer on the visor or something "4-wheel drive does not mean you can drive 80mph in five inches of snow"

Quick Reply: 10W-30 in the winter time