General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Default LT1 overheating

OK... my car only does this in stop and go traffic. If im on the interstate the car is loving life.

It is a 96 LT1 trans am.

I checked all three relays. All good. The 2 fuses are good. All grounds are good. If i jump the relays, the fans kick on. If the car is running, and i umplug the engine coolant temp on the water pump (so the PCM thinks the car is like 300+ degrees), in a short time both fans kick on.

Other wise the fans seem to never turn on. I can watch my gauge go to something like 230 degrees... and occasionaly it will creep back down to 190's. So im thinking the ECT sensor is bad.

What else can i do to figure out why my coolant fans are not turning on? And is this the sole reason my car could be over heatings in stop and go traffic? Does it douns like a ECT sensor?

THanks

NIck
Old 11-21-2005, 08:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

someone?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 94' Z-28 that is doing the same thing. On the highway it is great, but as soon as I stop for a brief time, the temp starts climbing rapidly. The only time I head the fans ever come on is when the guy at Autozone tried to pull codes on it. Other than that, they will not come on.
When getting stuck in traffic on I-85 the temp will go up quickly, but if I get in the shade of a tractor trailer, the temp will fall back down?