General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

engine blowing white smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine blowing white smoke.

This isn't LS1 Specific however my daily driver went out today (its about to snow here and I need to fix it fast). Its a 1991 Geo Tracker. No mods yet all stock. I was driving it and it died on me out of the blue and I had to push it home. I tried to start it and noticed the fuel injector was not spraying so I bought a new one put it in it started and died I check the fuses and the ignition fuse popped so I put in a new one cranked it over and it started ran a little rough at idle.

Here's the wierd part it started smoking like the smoke screen on a james bond car and it did not smell like coolant or oil. It had a wierd smell but it was neither coolant nor oil. Any suggestions? Its a 1.6L 4 banger P.O.S. 4x4 used for winter driving and I don't want to take the SS out when they throw salt on the roads.. any help is appreciated thanks.

Nate
Old 11-22-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

White smoke usually equals blown head gasket. Car usually runs rough and power is down if this is the case. A compression check will tell you right away.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:34 AM
TECH Resident

I was thinking that but when I ran a compression test i think it was 120 across the board I don't know what the limits are to this engine though. Now my next question is what would cause the head gasket to blow besides overheating granted I dont know if the previous owner over heated the engine but when it blew it hadn't even hit normal operating temprature yet. I started it let it run for a min and drove 1 block before it blew.

Last edited by CashMoney; 11-22-2005 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Adding question
Old 11-22-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you ran the test after it started smoking or before? If they are all equal, just find out what the spec is and that should tell you. Usually, it's two cylinders that drop pressure though.

You are right that overheating is usually the cause of a head gasket failure. I had a car once and the guy used bathroom caulking to attach the intake. Didn't last long.

Also, check your oil to see if there is water and check your coolant to see if it's low, oily, etc.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Ok according to chiltons my psi is susposed to be 170-199psi. My compression is 140 across the board all 4 cylinders.. also when I drained the oil to start removing the H/g oil and fuel came out. No coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant just fuel in the oil.. WTF? any ideas. I'm looking for a geo tracker forum right now when i get done typing this.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Compression all equal but low--probably not a head gasket. That usually affects two adjacent cylinders. All 4 cyliners low would indicate your rings are worn and/or your valves aren't sealing well.

Make sure you have spark and fuel in all 4 cylinders. If you're getting fuel but no spark, that might explain fuel ending up in the oil pan.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Compression all equal but low--probably not a head gasket. That usually affects two adjacent cylinders. All 4 cyliners low would indicate your rings are worn and/or your valves aren't sealing well.

Make sure you have spark and fuel in all 4 cylinders. If you're getting fuel but no spark, that might explain fuel ending up in the oil pan.
Thanks it looks like a combination of things the timing belt skipped a tooth and that accounted for the 140 psi on all 4 cylinders.. the reason why it wotn start or run is because it uses a mitsubishi ECU and it is fried. Got to love mitsubishi I was trying to get away from that **** after the eclipse when I bought my camaro..
Old 11-25-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bummer. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: engine blowing white smoke.