General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air Pump SES light question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pump SES light question

I recently purchased a 94 Firebird TA GT with a few minor problems. Most of them I have resolved, but there are a few problems I am still working on. The SES light comes on after driving the car for a few minutes. When I first start the car the light is off, after a few minutes it will come on. I took the car to Shucks Auto and had them read the codes for me. When they pulled the codes, it came back with no errors. Since the car has to run for awhile, before the light comes on, I would assume that is why there was no error code.

During my troubleshooting, I found that the fuse for the air pump had blown. I replaced the fuse and ran the car again. After driving the car for a few minutes the SES light cam on again. I checked the fuse and it had blown again. I tested the air pump and found it was froze up and shorted.

I also have a problem with the fans running all the time. when I start the car they are off but they come on about the same time the SES light does. (as near as I can tell). I read somewhere when the SES light is on the computer turns the fans on in case there is a problem. Does anyone know if the error from the air pump not functioning will also cause the fans to run?

Any help would be apericiated.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really sure about your fans coming on with the SES light but I have seen air pump get water in them and freeze making the fuse blow
Old 11-27-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your air pump pops fuses repeatedly, get a new one. Yes, the fans come on with the SES light.