General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Adjustment To Keep T-Tops ON My Car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjustment To Keep T-Tops ON My Car?

I remember there was a post from someone about how to adjust something w/the t-tops to keep them from flying off, but i did a search, and can't find it... can someone chime in?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Just close the latch and lock 'em. If they're latched & locked in place how are they going to fly off?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Just close the latch and lock 'em. If they're latched & locked in place how are they going to fly off?

That's what i thought, but according to a post i saw, there's an adjustment that needs to be made somewhere?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

not sure of the link, but it's pretty simple. Take the plastic cover off of the top of B-pillar (rear of t-top), it has 2 screws holding it on. You will see the part the latch connects to in there, just loosen the two 10mm bolts, slide it all the way toward the front and tighten them back down. Then just replace the plastic piece and you are done.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

When did this become a problem/concern?

Of the 3 t-top 4th gens I've had, and the dozens of people I've known with these cars, I've never heard of one person having a t-top blow off that was latched and locked.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by mcamp001
not sure of the link, but it's pretty simple. Take the plastic cover off of the top of B-pillar (rear of t-top), it has 2 screws holding it on. You will see the part the latch connects to in there, just loosen the two 10mm bolts, slide it all the way toward the front and tighten them back down. Then just replace the plastic piece and you are done.
Ah, just to see what this was all about I took that plastic piece off and checked mine. It's very straight forward how to adjust it. Mine looked ok as it was, but I pulled the slide out a little more just to give the bracket some more bite on the T-top rod. If you pull the slide out too far though, then the plastic trim piece won't fit aganist the headliner correctly when you put it back on....so I found a happy medium.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:32 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Guys, there is another adjuster in the "A" piller as well. Two phillips screws and pop the a-piller out and adjust if needed.

The reason everyone needs to check on these is because the adjusters car "slide" back and your t-tops are not grabbing anything...bye bye t-top. If you have read enough of these stories you'll hear alot of people stating that they were latched down and they have no idea why they flew off.
They would go to the local dealer (under warranty) and tell the service writers and they would laugh in their face and deny them.

So....sit in your car and latch them in and see how far the bar is going in, and if it grabs enough. Plus slap a little grease on the bars.

Peace,
Craig.

Quick Reply: Adjustment To Keep T-Tops ON My Car?