General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Things to do before storing your vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you take your tires/rims off for the winter be sure to store them in a dark dry place. A black trash bag works good for this.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, if you store your car in a rual area, you might want to put some moth ***** or cedar chips in or around the car, to keep mice and other rodents from eat your interior or wiring.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are the benefits of putting the battery on a tender for the winter? i usually remove it and put it on a wooden block in my basement and has always been alright...aside from having to adjust the clock!/theftlock on the stereo
Old 11-14-2006, 06:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
what are the benefits of putting the battery on a tender for the winter?
None, IMO.

The stock battery lasted 6 years in my Z28. The car sat every winter with the battery connected.

The stock battery in my WS6 lasted 4+ years and was still fine when I sold the car. That car sat every winter with the battery still connected as well.

I usually just toss a 10amp charger on the battery for about 2 hours once a month. Works great. I never pull the battery out for storage.....I just don't see the need.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

ok, ive been doin alright so far then. I have a 99ws6, the orig battery lasted 7 years and not a day more, and thats with removing it and puttin it on wood in the basement. although this year i bought a new battery at the start of the season(cost about 175 can$) so im gonna try and ride that one out for another 7!!! but all in all, i like to keep the car in as good cond as possible
Old 11-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

what would u guys say about putting an oil additive in the oil for storage?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ls1lover346
what would u guys say about putting an oil additive in the oil for storage?
I would say no, I don't believe in oil additives. Just make sure the oil is reasonably fresh before storage.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Teching In

I got a neat perspective on this one.

I stored my car ('02 WS6 M6) from August '02 to March '06 That's right... about 3 & 1/2 years compliments of the good ole U.S. Army (2 back-to-back tours to Korea followed by a deployment straight from Korea to Iraq, yay! )

With only 1200 miles on the odometer, I disconnected the battery, sprayed the rotors with WD-40, had the oil changed the day before I stored it, did nothing special to the fuel as I recall the fuel tank was about 2/3 full, cleaned the car, covered with a breathable cover, and stored it in a garage.

When I finally went to awake the sleeping dragon, I needed a new battery as the original was shot despite having been disconnected, the rotors were as good as showroom, the tires had flat spots and strangely enough, were all deflated to exactly 16 psi (were 30 when I put her to sleep), the fuel system gave me no problems, the car cover kept a lot of dust and spiderwebs off the car itself. The only thing I wish I would have done differently was put the car on jack stands and shown up w/ a charged battery instead of trying to jump-start her.

over-inflating the tires and putting several thousand miles on them helps w/ the flat spots but still doesn't eliminate them.

I wish I would have done the battery relocation/ upgraded to Optima back in March, cuz if I do it now, it's 2 batteries in less than a year
Old 11-27-2006, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

I dunno, I've heard alot of people say that storing a car on jackstands puts odd stress on the suspension since the wheels are hanging. I've been told that this can cuase the seals on the shocks to leak. Dunno from experience, but I think I'll risk flat spots an avoid the risk of needing to replace the shocks.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Actually, something that just popped into my head, maybe storing it on wheel dollies since they (normally) follow the contour of the tire. No flat spots, and no "hanging rack" suspension...just an idea
Old 11-27-2006, 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 02WS6M6
....the tires had flat spots and strangely enough, were all deflated to exactly 16 psi (were 30 when I put her to sleep)....The only thing I wish I would have done differently was put the car on jack stands....

over-inflating the tires and putting several thousand miles on them helps w/ the flat spots but still doesn't eliminate them.
After 3+ years of sitting with under inflated tires, I could see flatspots forming. But for most people here storing their cars, it's just for a 4-5 month period over the winter. Pump the tires to 40-45psi and check them once a month to maintain that pressure over the winter, and you'll have no issues with flatspotting. I never have in all these years.

For long term storage like yours, I'd recommend getting a cheap set of spare wheels/tires to sit the car on, or if you want to use the jack stand method just be sure that the suspension is properly supported by the jack stands. Don't let the springs/shocks/struts fully extend, it is harmful if left that way for long periods.

PS. Glad you made it back safe from all your deployments. Hopefully you'll have some time to enjoy the car now.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

I was wondering is flat spots from sitting a very common occurance when sitting my 95 ta has 12k and the original rubber it is stored from october till may every year in a garage and i never had this isssue yet knock on wood could i just not be felling it?
Old 12-06-2006, 05:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by americanmuscle13
I was wondering is flat spots from sitting a very common occurance when sitting my 95 ta has 12k and the original rubber it is stored from october till may every year in a garage and i never had this isssue yet knock on wood could i just not be felling it?
If the ride quality is smooth, then the tires are not flat spotted.

My Camaro was stored on the original tires every winter from '98-'04 and it never flat spotted either. It's been fine on the new tires now for the last two winters. I just pump 'em up to about 45psi right before storage.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Teching In

What ever you do to your car before storing, I'd recommend not putting in on jack stands. Take it from me, this may seem like a pratical thing to do, but when you drop your car when you take in out your suspension will not be the same. I had a Blisten suspension on my 02 camaro and after I pulled it out after about six months the car never felt the same hitting corners or sharp turns. Just a suggestion, your better off putting spare tires on it than raising her up.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default storage

Gentlemen, i just recently aquired an indoor storage facility for my t/a, glad i read this, i was actually considering raising her up on jack stands! What about inflating to max psi and parking on some old squares of carpet?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by PrototypE
What about inflating to max psi and parking on some old squares of carpet?
That's exactly what I do. I haven't had any flatspotting in 8 winters of doing this.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

I bought a set of C5 wagon wheels and tires for mine for the winter. The front tires are completely shot, but the back ones and the wheels are in great shape! I figure that will completely eliminate any tire problems..and for $250 for all 4, I figure it was worth it.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by thmass6
I bought a set of C5 wagon wheels and tires for mine for the winter.
Winter storage is about the only thing that those nasty '97-'99 C5 wheels are good for!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

>>>UPDATE<<<

Just pulled the car out of storage today. It's been sitting in the exact same spot for nearly 6 months. As usual, in terms of tire preparations, all I did prior to storage is put rubber-lined carpet under the tires (to keep mold/mildew from getting on the tires) and fill all 4 tires to 45psi.

I dropped the psi back to 32psi front/30psi rear and took it on the road. Just like every other year, there was absolutely NO flat spotting of any kind on the tires. The ride was smooth and vibration free at all speeds, and steering was straight and responsive.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

By the way, don't be a moron and do what I did a few years back. Do not leave the wet towels from drying your car in the car over winter!! I did that, and guess what, the leather was all covered in mold within 2 weeks. Not a pretty sight, at all!

Quick Reply: Things to do before storing your vehicle