General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Residue found under oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Residue found under oil cap... PLEASE HELP!!!

Ok, I was changing my oil today after a 6000 mile interval, and everything was going without any problems until i took off the oil cap to put in the new oil what I found has me worried...

On, the cap, and in the spout I found moisture, which i figured was just condensation from the cold weather mixed with the hot oil etc... but I also found a brown residue covering the interior side of the cap and also a small amount of a white/yellow slimy build up, not much, and it was only up by the cap, I am wondering what could cause this? I wont make any assumptions, but After driving about 20 miles, I took the cap off again, and it was still dry, so i am wondering if oil even regularly get on the cap?

If anyone know what is most likely causing this let me know... hopefully this isn't so abnormal...

All in all, I just don't think its been like this before, Im sure i would have noticed it last time...

thanks in advance...
Old 12-04-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its normal.do you drive alot of short trips?

once in a while ive had that on my oil cap in between changes.my car runs fine.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, sometimes i make the 2 minute drive to campus, cause of how cold it is...
Old 12-04-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Condensation and moisture will make it's way to the highest point it can reach, aka you oil cap. Short trip driving in the wintertime causes this as the motor never reaches operating temp to burn off the moisture.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but what will the short winter drive do for gas mileage? I live like 1 1/2 miles from work, and it seems like I've been getting real shitty gas mileage. Like 70 miles for half a tank so far. On pace for 135-140 a tank. But still driving with a little foot when there is no snow or ice.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The moisture under the cap is a normal result of short trips in cold weather, nothing to worry about. If you're really bothered by it, take it on a long trip, that should get rid of the moisture build up
As for the fuel mileage, a short trip like that will definately kill the MPG, as the car never gets into closed loop, and it's running rich most of the time, due to the cold

Quick Reply: Residue found under oil cap