General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can you over-oil your K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you over-oil your K&N?

I have heard that you can over oil a K&N filter, is this true? Does it restrict the usuall air flow and is there a way to oil the filter correctly?

Do they really flow better than the paper filters..................Proof other than the lame display at parts stores.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Yes, you can over oil them if you're not careful. Doing so usually results in oil residue build-up on the MAF wires and eventual driveability issues due to the dirty wires.

I personally don't use oil-type air filters any more. Too much mess and no real gain from what I've seen. There have been quite a few debates on this though, if you want to read both sides do a search on K&N or air filter(s) for more info.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Agreeing with what was already said...probably the only advantage to the oil type filters is not having to regularly go out and pay the cost for a new filter. When you're running something like the FTRA, the filter gets dirty quicker. Its cheaper in the long run to have a filter I can clean rather than run the paper filters that need to be thrown away.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

has there ever been any dyno testing run just on a filter change to actually prove its performance?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

I think the oil-type filters flow a hell of a lot better than paper filters. You just have to remember when oiling them not to put too much on. The more oil you put on the filter, the more of a restriction you make it. This is why you get the aeresol can of oil and spray the filter just enough until it turns red. After spraying once, come back in 30 min or so and get any spots you missed. Then put that bitch back on.

Quick Reply: Can you over-oil your K&N?