General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

stupid fog lamps

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid fog lamps

ok first off i would like to appologize if this is in the wrong spot, but i wasnt sure where else to ask. my question is if there is an easy way to replace the fog lights, my driver's side just burned out, and its the second time its happened within the last 8 months or so. the first time it happened it was easy to replace cause it just so happened that i had the car in for the 50k service, so i just had the dealer fix it. the passenger side one has burned out twice, but that one seemed easier to replace, i had my dad help me and we some how managed to replace it. but the driver's side one is being a complete bitch and i wanted to know if there was an easier way to replace them, or am i gonna have to chew up my arm fixin it again. thanks.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I'd quit messing with the stock ones and get some lights that actually put out some light (instaed of the feeble glow of the stock ones)
If you really want to keep the stockers, go under the front of the car, and you'll find 4 button fasteners, take them out, and pull back the plastic, the back of the fogs will be staring you in the face.
That's the way I did my bulb replacement, didn't chew up my arm a bit
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

hey thanks i appreciate your response, now i have something to do in the morning before work ya i didnt like the stock ones so i have been putting silverstar's in there, which bugs me cause i think they are suppose to last a lot longer then what they have been.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

I was actually meaning replacing the entire fog light assembly (not just the bulb), be careful using a higher wattage bulb, it could melt the plastic housing/lens of the stock piece
Old 12-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Teching In

a faster way to change the fog bulbs on a trans am ls1 is to simply turn onn your head lights and grab your skiniest friend and have him/her reach down thruogh the headlight housing and change the bulbs. very easy
Old 12-14-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by esoj1987
a faster way to change the fog bulbs on a trans am ls1 is to simply turn onn your head lights and grab your skiniest friend and have him/her reach down thruogh the headlight housing and change the bulbs. very easy
I tried that, I have pretty skinny arms, there was no way in hell I was getting my arm thru there
Old 12-14-2005, 10:52 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by esoj1987
OMG LMAO!!! Thats too damn funny!

I'll have get a buddy over next time one of mine goes out and try this.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

Another thing to consider while your there. I took them out and drilled holes in the bottom of my fog and running light so that the water that got in there could get out and that stopped the bulbs from burning out so far(done 3 years ago). I don't know how water keeps getting in there because the unit in somewhat sealed, my car garage kept, and doesn't see any rain.