General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Compressor help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor help needed.

Hey all!

I just got my car back from the dealer where it has been there for the past three months! Well, they did a great job on the sheet metal, but for some reason now, the A/C compressor will not flip on. Blower and everything seems to work ok. I have a check engine light, but have had that as the dealer didn't fix the air pump (not a biggie as it is getting tossed anyway). Well, I figured the compressor isn't firing because of the lowside pressure switch is either bad, or there isn't enough freon in the system. Both could be the case as the car has been sitting for a while!
Stop me when I am wrong.

I am going to go ahead and ramp up the front to get under it. The lowside switch should be at the compressor, right?

So now, if I jump the switch, the compressor should fire up, right?

If the compressor fires up, then it is definitely the switch or no freon. I do a messurement on the freon now and the pressure is fine, but I figured it isn't a good reading as there isn't anything moving. Is this a correct assumption?

If I need to replace the switch, can I just do a swap out or does this switch make direct contact with freon? Would the system freon have to be emptied and then pumped back in?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it blowing cold air out the defrost?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

No cold air. The HVAC controls work correctly by switching the air to the right vent, but the AC compressor never flips on.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check fuses and relays under the hood first.

What year and model car?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Thanks all who contributed!

After going through and checking all the fuses and everything, I took a shot in the dark. It might have been luck, but I warmed up the lowside and was able to get the compressor to cycle once. Once it cycled, I was able to get a good reading on the gauge. Read low, very low. Through some freon in and got the compressor to kick back in. Low freon. Thanks all! Word to the wise, don't trust a gauge (one side gauge) if you can't get the compressor to cycle. If I would have had a high and low side gauge, we wouldn't be talking now!