General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power antenna mast

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power antenna mast

My mast of the power antenna must have broken and half of it is still in the motor. Does this require a whole new assembly or what has to be done from here? I wish there was just a flush mount antenna I could replace it with and be done with it.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

OE antennaes suck.

buy an aftermarket one. at least thats what i did for a car i had after going thru a few stock ones and it never broke again.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

What would you suggest? Do I need to buy a new antenna/mast or a complete new motor to boot?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Any help fellas?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the GM one is sold as a complete unit - PN 10402859
Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

actually you can buy just the mast. I just replaced mine about 2 month ago after 6 months or better riding with the antenna stuck in the up position cause I unplugged it to stop the grinding. My motor was also still good but the teflon(plastic of some sort) feed line had broke. I'll try and remember to get the P/N I ordered and get it for you ... I got it through a dealer in pheonx that usually has good prices BUT they weren't much better than the "GM parts direct" folks. I don't know if there's a sponsor that deals in OEM parts for reasonable prices or not.

Easy to replace as long as you have a little mechanical ability. Hopefully the broken piece isn't stuck inside the round take up area. It could cause the new mast line to bind and break prematurly so make sure you get it all out. There's 2 screws that hold the motor to the gear housing/take-up area but only take this apart IF you can't get the borken piece out AND you know how to put electric motors back together and properly set the brushes (if you don't know that the brushes are don't even attempt this find a buddy or some one who does)

the mast was like $24 if memory serves but that beats the heck out of the $65+ for OEM and you still keep the oem look unlike some of the aftermarket crap out there