General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New Radiator in, but still running hot!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok weird turn of events. I was getting really frustrated so i took off every hose and flushed everything out, when i looked in the bucket with the drained coolant, i found styrafoam. It was a little piece of styrafoam from when i took the radiator out of its box! So it must have blocked the fluid from returning to the radiator! Also at what temp do the fans turn on? It seems they dont turn on until about 220-230. I was thinkin about getting the automatic fan switch. Let me know and thanks for everyones help!
Old 12-14-2005, 03:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ReD95LT1
Ok weird turn of events. I was getting really frustrated so i took off every hose and flushed everything out, when i looked in the bucket with the drained coolant, i found styrafoam. It was a little piece of styrafoam from when i took the radiator out of its box! So it must have blocked the fluid from returning to the radiator! Also at what temp do the fans turn on? It seems they dont turn on until about 220-230. I was thinkin about getting the automatic fan switch. Let me know and thanks for everyones help!
Fans are supposed to turn on around 210°. Mine don't turn on until 225 - 230°. I haven't been able to figure that one out yet. I've been thinking I have a fan relay problem or PCM programming problem.

What thermostat did you put in? 160° or 180°? Reason I ask is because I have a theory about this.... I bought a 180° stat that's ready for me to install when I get 10 minutes away from the kids. I may have installed a 160° stat a long time ago (can't remember, though). My theory is that the 160° stat opens too soon and doesn't allow coolant to be the radiator long enough to cool (at idle, even with the fans on). This, also may cause the coolant temp to rise too fast for the fans to turn on at 210°. This is all theory and I haven't been able to find anyone that knows answers to my questions about all this.

Why did you replace the radiator in the first place? I was also thinking about replacing mine but it sounds like yours (now) is behaving the same way mine is. Styrofoam blocking the system can't be good. Good thing you found that!

As far as manual switches are concerned, lots of guys do this for similar problems. Thing is, you'd have to remember to turn the switch off while moving over 40mph (unless you figure out an auto shut-off method). If you don't turn the fans off you could burn out the electric motors. I was going to do this as well but I would rather have mine running the way its supposed to. And, with my memory, I'd be burning up motors everytime I drive the thing! Running hot indicates there's a problem somewhere. Its a nightmare trying to figure out what it is, though.

If I'm driving at a good speed (> 40 mph), I run somewhere in the middle of 160° and 180°F. I'm thinking if my fans would just turn on sooner, I wouldn't have any problem at all...
Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put in the stock replacement thermostat, which i believe is 180? I replaced the radiator because my old one was cracked and leaking.

The car is running perfect now, didnt even hit 210 the whole 20 miles to work! It takes me an hour to get to work also!

I like the idea of the manual switch, but that does scare me about forgetting to turn it off after hitting 40. But i think my main concern is sitting in traffic, and such. So I might not have to worry about going over 40 sittin in traffic. But how much do they run and are they an easy install?

I heard the 160 thermostats are not a good idea. So i just stuck with a stock replacement.

Quick Reply: New Radiator in, but still running hot!!