General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New Radiator in, but still running hot!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Radiator in, but still running hot!!

I just installed my radiator put in the necesarry coolant and the car is running hot at about 230 - 240. WHat is going on here? I need help fast. thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Did you bleed all the air out of the system?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, i kept the cap off for a good 15 minutes when i first started the car. Could it be the thermostat?!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yes it could be the thermostat but before you run spend money pull it out and check it. If you dont know how then heres what ya need to do. Pull it out and get a pan of water and toss it in.Gradually warm the pan of water up to the temp of the thermostat. You should see the thermostat gradually open. If you dont see this then yes your thermostat is bad.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:01 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I learned the hard way long ago to never put a thermostat in without checking it on the stove in a pot of water. I had one that refused to open.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont get off work until late so i will probably have to buy one on the way home before anything closes and get home, test the old one if it works ill just have to return the new one. What could it be if its not the thermostat?!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

It could be the thermostat but you probably didn't bleed the system properly (if you have the LT-1 <judging by your handle>). I believe there are two screws you need to open while the engine is running. Open the screws until coolant comes out and then close them.
I didn't do this on my car and had the same problem. After I bled the system, I was good to go.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, but when i do this should the radiator cap be off as well? Becuase i know what you are talking about and was gonna do this last night but didnt get the chance becuase i wasnt sure if i should have left the cap on or off, thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ReD95LT1
Ok, but when i do this should the radiator cap be off as well? Becuase i know what you are talking about and was gonna do this last night but didnt get the chance becuase i wasnt sure if i should have left the cap on or off, thanks!
That's a good question! I'm not sure what the answer is. I am almost positive I had mine on while I bled my system but I run a little hot in traffic (~230°) and just fine with a head wind. I would guess that you leave take the cap off because while you are bleeding air you start to create a vacuum in the radiator. After all these years, I never thought of that!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, i almost thought not to ask because it might have been a stupid question. Thanks ill give it a shot tonight. I noticed you have a 95 lt1 as well. (jkichline)
How do you like it and what have you done to it?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also....

When testing the thermo, should i just get some water on the stove in a pot, put the thermostat in there, then constantly turn the heat up all the way until what temp?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:32 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Also....

When testing the thermo, should i just get some water on the stove in a pot, put the thermostat in there, then constantly turn the heat up all the way until what temp?
I throw it in a pot with 2" of water or so. I also stick the probe of an old Autometer temp gauge in next to it to watch when it opens. It cracks at one temp and it fully open ~10 deg later.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of good LT1 cooling system info/testing here: http://shbox.com/1/how_tos.html
Old 12-13-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Haha, i almost thought not to ask because it might have been a stupid question. Thanks ill give it a shot tonight. I noticed you have a 95 lt1 as well. (jkichline)
How do you like it and what have you done to it?
I love my LT-1. I have not made too many mods. You can see everything I've done in my signature and I'm working on getting a much better picture posted as the one I have now does not do it any justice. I've had it since '98 and I still love it. I plan on keeping it forever. We'll see how the plan works. I sometimes find myself getting a little jealous of the LS-1's and WS-6's but good 'ol LT-1 is still pretty exciting to drive and has not yet left me stranded! We have about 10 inches of snow here so it can't come out to play right now.
If I had the money, I'd add a supercharger or change over to the LS-7 engine. But I'm married with three kids. Unless I hit the lottery, it'll be all I can do to keep it inspected.
Definitely let me know how you make out tonight.

Oh yeah and read this...
Coolant Fill Procedure for LT-1
Old 12-13-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah my friend has a 98 and my other friend has a 00 TA. I like them but they dont seem to be much better than mine. I just love the car in general.

So when checking the thermostat, im gonna have to remove the hoses off of the water pump, wont there be alot of coolant pooring out of them, will i lose alot? That would suck considering i just put all new coolant in there lol. Let me know what process you would follow when doing this all tonight, thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah my friend has a 98 and my other friend has a 00 TA. I like them but they dont seem to be much better than mine. I just love the car in general.

So when checking the thermostat, im gonna have to remove the hoses off of the water pump, wont there be alot of coolant pooring out of them, will i lose alot? That would suck considering i just put all new coolant in there lol. Let me know what process you would follow when doing this all tonight, thanks!
Sorry. I can't remember. I remember that changing the thermostat is extremely easy so I don't think you'll lose much. But that might be what I remember from my other cars. Usually I remember if I make a big mess, though. If you do lose a lot, be careful of losing it all over your opti. If that thing gets water inside (it won't if its sealed properly) you'll have all kinds of other problems. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right now i was just out there getting ready to bleed system for air, i took off the cap and loosened the bleed screws. As soon as i turn it on the radiator instantly overflows sending coolant everywhere? How can i bleed it if this happens?!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

replaced the thermostat and it still runs hot! now almost to 160!! Im fed up! HEEEEELP!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

replaced the thermostat and it still runs hot! now almost to 260!! Im fed up! HEEEEELP!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

just, take out your thermostat and run it to see what happens. It should only get to running temp, aroun ~150~ if it still gets hot, MAKE SURE, you have no trapped air in the system. If you dont have any trapped air, run it with the radaitor cap off and look for bubbles, that look whitish, and emit ~steam looking~ stuff when they 'pop'. Could have a blown head gasket, cracked head or block.

Ski

Quick Reply: New Radiator in, but still running hot!!